In the eyes of a Christian can a non believer be as good a person as believer?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago

As a bible believing Christian, I have met people of different or of no faith that are very kind and upright than I. I have met believers that are very self righteous. Most people I meet are often much more better person than I am. I guess I am just a mean one.

Regardless of being a good person or not, compared to the Almighty God's holiness we are convicts. Apart from the Lord Jesus Christ our best days are nothing but filthy rags compared to His righteousness.

• ?
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

From what I have witnessed, many do NOT believe a non believer is as "good" as a non believer.

For instance, if you are running for public office down here in the Bible Belt and you come out as Atheist, you better start looking for a different job.

• 7 years ago

As we are all sinners we need forgiveness and that is why Christ said, in Matt 12.32 "And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him; but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come."

This is the unforgivable sin, and it means that there is no salvation and no place in Heaven for you unless you believe in the Holy Spirit (in other words, in the Holy Trinity).

Think of the Holy Spirit as being a key to the Gates of Heaven. When you finally arrive you can let yourself in and join God's family. Unbelievers won't have the key and so will be locked out. Whether it is extremely hot or cold and lonely out there won't make much difference. It will not be pleasant either way. Good works alone won;t get you to Heaven. Nor will faith withyout good works. You need both to be saved.

• 7 years ago

I believe that one can be a nonbeliever and still be a good, decent, honest, loving, person. There are plenty of "Christians" who claim to be those things but in truth ARE NOT! There are pure hearted people of all walks of life IMO.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Of course. Consider the rather obvious case of someone who dies in infancy - that is, a child who dies during or immediately after birth. They have (presumably) not had the opportunity to commit any sin - so whether Christian or non-Christian, they are more "good" than any adult human.

• 7 years ago

It is in the eyes of God we should be concerned with, not the eyes of a Christian.

But yes, most Christians probably believe that God will judge ALL humans, with unbiased judgment and so if an Atheist is a good human, decent in all ways, and does nothing to go against what God wants from us, then that Atheist will probably be accepted into Heaven.

God simply wants us to be humans who do NOT hate each other, who do NOT want what the other has in material goods, who respects all people in all ways. In other words, He wants us to simply live with each other in the best way possible.

If we do that, regardless of being religious or not, we will be doing what God wants, and so, we will be chosen to be with God.

However, religions set standards a bit higher then what non religious people do, and so what is okay for non religious people to do, might not be okay for religious people. This difference in morals might not be enough to warrant God keeping someone out of Heaven, but it could be.

So by setting standards and letting people know what it is God will accept, the chances of people keeping these standard morals are more likely, and so these people will also be more likely to be accepted.

Those who have NO set standards, except for what the community allows, what society allows, might not meet the required standards set by God. However, being that unless they KNOW they should have higher standards, God will probably allow them to repent, and then choose their path again, on Judgment Day. Those who refuse to go with Him, will be allowed to go their own way. To what ever or wherever that may be.

• 7 years ago

As long as we are all good living people and dont go out our way to hurt someone then religeous beliefs or non beliefs have nothing to do with judging someone. I am a christian and I know lots of athiests who are good living people and I know lots of christians who wlll burn in hell for their way of life.

• Deino
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

As good a person?

Like, in regards to the standards of modern civilization? Sure. I mean, of course. Why not?

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

That depends on the Christian. There are some liberal Christians who will accept that non-believers can be good people.

• 7 years ago

I know your ? is for Christians but, as an atheist, I have to say that I 'do unto others as I would be done by' - but I know not all Christians live by that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.