Somebody knows what is a good carseats for tall toddlers?

My son is the size (height) of a 5/6 year old. Im not ready to put him in a booster seat with the seatbelt around him so i was wondering if anybody knew or any AFFORDABLE (if possible) carseats for tall kids with hardness buckle?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, you are correct in that booster seats are not meant for toddlers. They are meant for kids at least 5 years old because children under this age do not have the bone density to take the force of a lap/shoulder seat belt. In addition, I can never picture a 3 year old (and even most 4 year olds) to not play with the seat belt. Some parents have tragically lost a child because they thought it was safe to use a booster seat if the manufacturer says that it is okay: http://www.jrn.com/ktnv/news/187038601.html

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommend that children ride in a 5 point harness for as long as possible. NHTSA even says to ride in one up to age 7: http://www.safercar.gov/parents/RightSeat.htm

The top most harness slot height is generally the most important characteristic to look for as most children outgrow their car seats by height when the child's shoulders are parallel to the top most harness slot. Even if you have a tall child, if your child's torso is short, a car seat can last longer than a short child with a longer torso.

The Evenflo SureRide is $100, has about 19 inch top harness slots and a 65 lb forward facing weight limit. One problem with this seat is that Evenflo made the harness length so short that some kids will outgrow the seat by harness length! Put your kid in the display model and see how much harness length is left over for adjustment. The adjuster strap/ tab is found in the front of the car seat. It is a convertible car seat (rear and forward facing with the harness system), so it cannot be used as a booster seat.

The Evenflo SecureKid 300 (or the 400 model) have approximately 18 inch top slots and both have a 65 lb weight limit with the harness system. Booster mode will generally not be used because it will be outgrown at the exact same time harness mode is outgrown by height.

The Graco Nautilus can be ordered from Amazon for $140. It has 18 inch top harness slots and a 65 lb forward facing weight limit. This is a combination seat that only can be used forward facing with the harness and as a high-back and backless booster seat.

On the more pricey end of the spectrum is the Britax Frontier 85 and the Frontier 90 model and goes up to 85 lbs and 90 lbs respectively (when used with the top tether strap). The Frontier 85 has been discontinued, so you may not be able to find them. These have 20 inch top most harness slots thus having the highest height limit for using the harness system in the United States. It also makes the tallest high-back booster seat. Amazon currently has the Frontier 90 at $264: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_kk_2?rh=i%3Ababy-pr...

Since you are using a higher weight harness car seat, it is important to understand that there is a weight limit for the lower anchors. The Frontier 90 is very easy to install with the vehicle's seat belt with its "click-tight" system.

Another responder recommended the Diono Radian. It is the narrowest car seat on the market. It is marketed as a "3 in 1" seat, but the booster function will never be used because it will be outgrown at the exact same time harness mode is outgrown by height. The top most slots are about 17 1/2 inches, but kids generally have more growing room in the Graco Nautilus. I would only get this seat if you either need the space or have another child that will need the rear facing function in about 2 years (when your current child is at least 5 years old to ride in a booster seat).

Source(s): CarseatBlog is a great resource. CarseatBlog does not review every child seat, but on the ones they do review does give you an idea on what the seat has to offer. Check out their reviews here: http://carseatblog.com/reviews/ If you have any further questions, please direct them to this forum: http://www.car-seat.org/ You do not even need to register to post your question.
    • boneheaderss
      Lv 7
      6 years agoReport

I forgot to mention the Harmony Defender also has 18" top slots and a 65 lb forward facing weight limit. It will also be a great seat for a bigger child. Harmony has a new buckle as the one that you buy will be super short. If the buckle bothers your son, give them a call and they will send you one.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

Of this list, my personal favorite is the Nautilus. My daughter is 6 and on the taller side and still uses the 5 pt restraint on both a Nautilus and a Britax marathon.

The Radian is also really good, especially if you need a narrower seat for space issues.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.