Are there ANY companies where you can rent "one way" cargo vans?

Looking to relocate to FL from CT but do not want to rent a truck 'cause I won't need anything that big, plus too $$$. I know many rental companies (UHaul, etc.) rent "cargo vans", but all the ones I've checked are for LOCAL use ONLY & must be returned to location they were rented from. Does anyone know if there's anywhere I can rent a van which can be picked up in one location (state) & dropped off in another?

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Most car rental companies also rent vans and trucks, though they often don't keep them at local neighborhood branches because they aren't rented as frequently. Generally speaking, most rental companies will rent vehicles one way at the standard local rate, but then charge a single vehicle recovery fee to pick up the vehicle from the remote destination. If they didn't do this, certain commonly-used destinations would quickly accumulate large numbers of cars that would eventually have to make their way back to local branches, something that ties up employee manhours and racks up miles. These fees are often expensive--anywhere from one hundred to several hundred dollars--so it actually might be cheaper for you to rent a truck even though you don't need the extra cargo room.

Most rental car companies will allow you to get a quote online, so I'd go to some of the more familiar companies--Enterprise, Hertz, etc.--and attempt to determine pricing. In most cases, you can select a truck and select a one way rental, and it will show you up front what the recovery fee will be. You can then decide whether or not it's more productive to go to U-Haul.

I think with U-haul you can drop off a van at any other U-haul location only they are going to charge you clearly more.

You can also look into renting space in a larger truck, usually you can charged by how many feet regarding the length of the truck you are using. I've used years ago ABF u-pack and was happy with it, though it took a while until my stuff arrived which was all to the good since I needed a few days to find a place anyway.

One Way Rental Vans

• Scotty

you may want to try calling some of the major car rental companies and ask if they have cargo vans for one way.

Hertz, Budget, enterprise. Never know what might happen.

Come on down, We're waiting for you here. LOL. :)

just moved from cali to north Carolina was in the same situation rented passage van with the fold away seats the Chrysler town and country or dodge grand caravan has them rented it from enterprise folded all the seats down instant cargo van

• PMack

I have a better solution PODS. You can get them to bring one to your existing location, load it up at your convenience, then they will take it away when you say and bring it to your new location when you need it - then you unload it and they take it away. Driving a Ryder or UHual or whatever for over 1000 miles will cost you a fortune, and you'll be in a noisy rough riding truck all that time. You can get the PODS in two sizes, my guess is the smaller one would be perfect for you.

You can rent a small truck that has a cab equivalent to a full size van.