How to use "lo" in Spanish...?

If I wanted to say "Do not burn it", would I say "no lo quema" or "no quemarlo"??

And what are the rules for using lo and la??

Favorite Answer

"lo" and "la" are direct object pronouns. They represent (substitute) the thing, event or person affected by the action. "lo" and "la" many times represent "it" when translated into English, but can also refer to people, these can be translated as "him" or "her" when refering to people. Direct object pronouns can also be plural, "los" or "las". It is the compliment that directly receives the action (WITH WHAT you complete an action.)

Let's say for example you take something or someone to another location, the thing or person you take is the direct object.

With the verb, "ver" (to see)

They see him - lo ven

They see it (masc. object) - lo ven

They see it (fem. object) - la ven

They see them (masc. plural) - los ven

They see them (fem. plural) - las ven

With the verb "llevar" (to take away / to take with)

I take him - lo llevo

I take it (masc. object) - lo llevo

I take it (fem. object) - la llevo

I take them (masc. plural) - los llevo

I take them (fem. plural) - las llevo

Now let's examine your example: Don't burn it. First off, we will have to use the command form (imperative / imperativo en español) for this statement.

= "No lo quemes", command form - informal" tú" / "No lo queme" - formal Usted.

("lo" is taking the place of a singular masculine object. If the object to not be burnt is masculine plural, femenine singular/plural, you will have to change the direct object pronoun to either, "la", "los" or "las" to reflect that.)

Whenever you have a direct object (a book, a window, a man, a woman, a dog, a wedding, etc.) and an action that affects directly ( in other words: that uses a person, object or event to carry out an action), you can replace the direct object with a direct object pronoun (lo, la, los, las).

Here are some more examples:

Direct object expressed: (el libro); Verb (leer): Tú lees el libro - You read the book

Direct object pronoun replacing "el libro" - "lo"; Tú lo lees You read it

Direct object expressed: (la ventana); Verb (romper): Ellos rompen la ventana - They break the window

Direct object pronoun replacing "la ventana" - "la"; Ellos la rompen - They break it

Direct object expressed: (los gatos); Verb (comprar): Yo compro ,los gatos - I buy the cats

Direct object pronoun "los gatos" - "los"; Yo los compro - I buy them

Direct object expressed: (las bodas); Verb (interrumpir): Nosotros interrumpimos las bodas - We interrupt the party

Direct object pronoun replacing "las bodas" - "las"; Nosotros la interrumpimos We interrupt them

Keep in mind that "me", "te" and "nos" are also direct object pronouns when referring to "me", "you" or "us" as a direct object.

He chooses me = (él) me elige

I choose him = (yo) lo elijo

We choose them = (nosotros) los elegimos.

They choose us = (ellos) nos eligen

She chooses you = (ella) te elige

Source(s): Spanish instructor 11 years exp. www.livitspanish.com

The negative command form requires the Subjunctive Mood

"no lo quemes"

No quemarlo, in this case "LO" refers to the thing you don't want to be burned, if the thing is a masculine noun is quemarLO for example libro, if the noun you are referring to is a femenine noun then you have to say no quemarLA (eg. La Mesa). What lo or la do in this specific case is substitute the direct object for a pronoun.

The other option you gave just says (el/Ella) doesn't burn it

Source(s): Native speaker / Spanish teacher