Do Europeans like Alaskans?

I'm from Alaska and my family is going to Europe for a month. I know some places like France supposedly don't like Americans. But I'm wondering what they think of specifically Alaskans. I'm going to Greece, Italy, France, Ireland, and England. Any thoughts?

• Loog5R
    Favorite Answer

I'm from England.

I don't particularly like Americans, I've only met rotten Americans who gave me BAD views on American people.

I know some people who dislike Americans too, but you know, some will like you and some will absolutely loathe you.

If you are polite and nice you will be treated nicely. If you cant be nice like so many American tourists that come here you might encounter some verbal abuse.

Americans that come here seem to moan and complain every second, oh the 'weather sucks' the food sucks' 'people don't smile enough'. That's the sort of thing that will annoy a British person.

• Tangi

Most europeans know almost nothing about Alaska except where it is and that it's cold.

You will probably be perceived as an american like the others.

But what you hear is fortunately wrong. France, Italy and Poland are the three european coutries with the best opinion of the United States as a country and most europeans are able to differentiate between a country and its people so even the ones who perceive the USA negatively will probably have nothing against you.

Except if you're not polite.

A lot of tourists are unintentionally rude and they don't understand when people are rude back to them.

This is why a lot of american believe the french don't like them.

I don't think they do. It's doesn't matter to me one way or another.

• Alaskans are Americans right? I mean you make it sound like being Alaskan is some sort of unique ethnic group. It isn't, right? Well I've met Americans but not from Alaska.

Alaskans are somewhat detached from the rest of the United States in the sense that they are wholly separated by the very large Canada. Perhaps that would give reason to not be so harsh towards you, but it is more likely that you will be perceived as just another American, in which case, you may want to brace yourself