Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 6 years ago

What is the real title of Chopin's "Spring Waltz"?

Hello,

I just got a link to this piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmzFDEu2RoA

Youtube thumbnail

I was wondering what is the real title of it? Is this piece really by Chopin? Because I have some doubts.

Any information about it would be very useful.

Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Not Chopin... and not classical!

The original thing is an instrumental pop piece called ''Mariage d'amour'' written by Paul de Senneville and Olivier Toussaint and played by Richard Clayderman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCl-0lu0vHM

Youtube thumbnail

Best,

Raymond

• Raymond
      4 years agoReport

I'm quite familiar with just about every measure Chopin ever penned down. Sorry but not the slightest trace of Chopin here. Including his B minor Waltz, of course... :-)

In response to the answer 3 above: The piece "Spring Waltz"does portray a similar emotion to that found in several of Chopin s pieces. His nocturne in in b flat minor is a good example of this. It certainly is not chopin, though. The left hand resembles none of his other works. It is not a waltz, because it isn t in 3/4 (or 5/4 or 6/8). I understand your love for chopin, but do not state that this could be one of his works. You re very misguided. It s emotion is indeed Chopinesque, but the structure, especially in the left had, is simply not his. Please stop misleading people.

Spring Waltz

Because that youtuber has no clue about author's rights:

"MegaPolis8 months ago (edited)

WOLFGANG GERLING, Good evening!... :)

I've already answered this question(in comments)...

Richard Clayderman is - just pianist!... :) And аuthor is - Paul de Senneville (Mariage d'amour)... :) But, I think... this is actually - Chopin!... And - not because... it's - only my subjective opinion! (because - of the fact that he's - my favoritest composer!)... but because - it's his melody, his - motives, his - structure, his - rhythms, his - style, his - soul, his - thinking... This is - Chopin!... And the evidence for this is that the people - just listening (not knowing - who the "author")... were thinking - that... it was - Chopin!... and without hesitation - they named "Chopin's waltz"!... I will not - change the name!... For me - it's Chopin!... :P)

Good luck!... :)" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YujXgcdHpXs

Youtube thumbnail

• Lauren

Here are some pieces of music that remind me of spring, mostly because it was during spring that I first heard the piece, or that the piece became impressionable upon me during spring. Mahler's 1st (the setting of nature for this piece brings back memories from my younger days exploring the nearby forest) Holst's 1st and 2nd suites for band, Vaughn Williams English Folk Song Suite, mostly because in high school, after the Christmas concerts, we would focus on one of these pieces and then performed them during the spring concert. I can also hear in my mind the British navy scrubbing boats now that it is spring and outside work can be massively performed. Beethoven's 6th!!!! I think of this piece as spring a lot more than summer, because here in Michigan, tornado season is in full bloom during May and early June, which is spring, and as for the last movement, I can hear the butterflies. The symphony is about rebirth and renewal, which is what spring is all about. The Moldau from Smetana's "Ma Vlast". BW

Does not sound like Chopin at all!!!!!

Why was attributed to Chopin then?

• Quaver4 years agoReport

The emotion and feeling certainly seems to have been inspired by chopin, but please, listen to the left hand. That is not chopin. It simply sounds like Chopin to the untrained ear of the masses.

I agree with Quaver on this one.

I work at a sheet music store, and we had an elderly woman that heard "Chopin Spring Waltz" call the store and wanted to buy the sheet music for the piece. The salesperson she talked to he told her that he wasn't familiar with such a title by Chopin, but that we had a complete collection of Chopin waltzes. She was ready to purchase the collection (figuring if it was complete, it would have the "Spring" waltz in it), but luckily for her, the salesman she talked to thought he had better check to see if such a title existed on the internet. After seeing the entry on YouTube and reading further into things, he called her back to explain the situation. Nonetheless, she was insistent that it existed (probably because "if it's on the internet, it must be true") and, after numerous calls back and forth, the salesperson finally convinced her that a "Spring" waltz by Chopin does not exist.

We did tell her about the Clayderman piece that should have been attributed to the piece, but needless to say, the customer was ready to purchase a complete collection of waltzes by Chopin that did not have the piece that she wanted in it and, because of copyright law, she would not have been able to return it.