Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Do we just cease to be when we die? Is there any hope for an afterlife? What's the point of living if in the end you become food for worms?

Do we really have a soul? This thought of never being ever to see this wonderful world again is terrifying me... Is death really the end? If it is, what is the point of living at all!? Don't give me that "you have to make an impact" or "make the world a better place". That would never matter to me when I'm dead... The thought of the end terrifies me, could science help me live forever, or is Christianity and all of it true? Any proof of an afterlife, any hope?

Favorite Answer

I suggest you investigate Near Death Experiences (NDEs).

There is peer-reviewed scientific research on Near Death Experiences (NDEs) from the Lancet (one of the world's oldest and best known peer-reviewed medical journals), the Journal of the American Medical Association, and other studies that provides evidence for the existence of a transcendent soul.

During NDEs:

+ Patients report seeing data that should not have been accessible to them in their brain-dead states, and which is subsequently verifiable. (1)

+ 80% of patients blind since birth can see during their near-death experience (later they clearly describe verifiable things that they have never seen. (2)

+ Patients encounter with transcendent beings (loving white light, Jesus, deceased relatives, etc.). (1) (3) (4) (5)

After NDEs, there is a measurable absence of death anxiety in both children and adults. (6) (7) (8)

References:

(1) van Lommel, MD, Pim; van Wees, Ruud; Meyers, Vincent; and Elfferich, Ingrid. 2001. “Near-Death Experience in Survivors of Cardiac Arrest: A Prospective Study in the Netherlands.” The Lancet. Vol. 358, Issue 9298, pp. 2039-2045 www.thelancet.com

(2) Ring, Kenneth; Cooper, Sharon; and Tart, Charles. 1999. Mindsight: Near-Death and Out-of-Body Experiences in the Blind.

(3) Moody, Raymond A. 1975. Life After Life. (New York: Harper Collins).

(4) Moody, Raymond A. 1988. The Light Beyond. (New York: Bantam Books).

(5) Moody, Raymond A. 1993. Reunions: Visionary Encounters with Departed Loved Ones. (New York: Random House.)

(6) Morse, MD, Melvin. 1990. Closer to the Light: Learning from the Near-Death Experiences of Children. (New York: Random House) 1992. Transformed by the Light. (New York: Ballantine Books).

(7) Morse, M.; Castillo, P.; Venecia, D.; et al. 1986. “ Childhood Near-Death Experiences.” American Journal of Diseases of Children, 140, pp. 1110-1113.

(8) Morse, M.; Connor, D.; and Tyler, D. 1985. “Near-Death Experiences in a Pediatric Population.” American Journal of Diseases of Children, 139, pp. 595-600.

See also:

MagisWiki http://magisgodwiki.org/index.php?title=The_Human_...

With love in Christ.

There is an afterlife. Right at the point of death a 1/4 ounce of weight is lost, gone and out of the body. This is your soul, because they have never found what accounts for the missing 1/4 ounce. Also, it is impossible for the entire universe to have been formed out of thin air. We already know how galaxies are born because we have observed them. Think about how complex things are in the human body, in nature, how things literally have to balance out with each other. Some sort of design was used. And if you are going to take the bible as fact, remember that Constantine messed with it so he could keep his subjects in order and then later on so did King James. He wanted to make sure that everything matched up with his ruling. Also, Jesus didn't write anything to us.....that they have included in the bible so far.......and the books that were written about him or his life in the new testament were written by someone who heard the story from a follower, who knew a follower of Jesus during his life and told the story to him. So....from one guy.....to the next guy.....to the next guy who wrote it down. Also, no books were written by women at all and the book of Ruth is sort of an example of how women are viewed in Christianity......it's a short book....read it and then seriously think about everything that she did and he said to her. It's a situation where your looks and youth are a tool to be used when trapping a man......the bible is nothing more than a translation that is being used to profit off of right now. Why would a family have one person at the top.....there are two needed in order to have one ......besides what men lack women have and what women lack men have. Don't worry about hell..........no one can tell you anyways if you or anyone else is going to go there because ultimately....from a Christians point of view.......the only one who makes the decision is .......well, not them that's for sure. Sometimes they forget that......Gandhi once said "I like your Christ, but I do not like your Christians".........gee I wonder why.......Oh and the point of living is that this is the beginning and well.........there is no end and there never will be.......start looking into science......chemistry.....biology.....physics......start exploring ...that might help you realize why your here....to find out why .......and hopefully I didn't piss anyone off......sorry if I did

If you seek God earnestly you will find the truth... Jeremiah 29:13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

Those that say there is no God and no life after death are those that won't seek God at all.. they just speculate and really cannot understand . How can you understand something if you wont even give it a chance... Gods words and truths are only revealed to those who want to know the truth and believe in God.. so if you want to know the truth and believe there just might be a chance for a God, then ask Him to reveal to you the truth and He will open up your eyes to the truth.. read the bible and ask God to help you understand..

There's no purpose of life, continue living the way you are. And you reincarnate.

Ask an Islamist Jihadist, they blow themselves up taking innocents with them. These idiots believe they will be allocated 72 virgins each when they get to paradise.

Islam, the religion of no peace.

Do we just cease to be when we die? no our soul returns to god who created it

Is there any hope for an afterlife? yes there is

What's the point of living if in the end you become food for worms?

there is no point

Do we really have a soul?

yes we do

This thought of never being ever to see this wonderful world again is terrifying me... Is death really the end?

no it is not the end

If it is, what is the point of living at all!?

there would be no point

The thought of the end terrifies me, could science help me live forever, or is Christianity and all of it true?

no science can not help you live forever

yes christianity is true

Any proof of an afterlife, any hope?

yes god tells us as does jesus in the bible we will have a after life to make our self ready now

God's word the bible has much to say on this subject. And you do need to consider this subject about your future. Job was a man who considered this question and at the same time, giving the answer to his question. Job, a man of outstanding faith, undergoes severe trials—including the loss of his material possessions, the death of all his beloved children, and a painful illness. In the throes of misery, he calls out to God:

(Job 14:13) O that in the Grave you would conceal me, That you would hide me until your anger passes by, That you would set a time limit for me and remember me!

Job see's the grave or death as a relief from his woes. The man was not only emotionally injured, but he was also going through a terrible illness. He wished to be dead. But he also knew that he would not stay dead.

(Job 14:14) If a man dies, can he live again? I will wait all the days of my compulsory service Until my relief comes.

Job likens the time that he will spend in the grave to “compulsory service”—an enforced period of waiting. For how long? “Until my relief comes,” he says. (Verse 14) That relief will mean release from the grave—in other words, a resurrection from the dead.

(Job 14:15) You will call, and I will answer you. You will long for the work of your hands.

Jehovah God will call Job while he is in the grave, and Job will answer him. Which means he will no longer be dead. And Job considers himself, (as everyone else should) that he is the work of God's hands. After all, he created us.

Here are some more scriptures to consider...

(John 5:28, 29) Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice  and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, and those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment.

In what form will they “come out”? Jesus gave us a preview when he resurrected a number of people from the dead. In each case, the person returned in human form—as his or her previous self. Would you like to live forever? Jehovah God's purpose for mankind is to live forever. He created us to not only live forever, but to live happy meaningful lives.

(John 17:3) This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.

So the key is to learn and know God and of his son Jesus Christ to gain that everlasting life. But where? In Heaven? On Earth? There are several scriptures that reveal this answer.

(Revelation 21:3, 4) With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them. 4 And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”

God will be with "Mankind" and death will be no more. sounds like a good prospect to me. So why not take the time to learn about God and his purposes and what he requires of you and follow through with it.

Source(s): For so much more information, go to JW.Org.

God’s Word gives a clear answer: “The living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all.” (Ecclesiastes 9:5) So yes, when we die we cease to exist. The Bible also says: " for there is an outcome for humans and an outcome for animals; they all have the same outcome. As the one dies, so the other dies; ... All are going to the same place. They all come from the dust, and they all are returning to the dust. (Ecclesiastes 3:19, 20) Thus, this scripture makes it clear that there is no afterlife.

So, what's the point of living if in the end you become food for worms? Besides revealing the truth about the state of the dead, the Bible also shows that God has purposed to restore the dead to life by means of a resurrection. “The hour is coming,” said Jesus, “in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his [Christ’s] voice and come out.” (John 5:28, 29)

If you would like to learn more about what the Bible teaches regarding the dead, please feel free to visit www.jw.org.

Source(s): The Bible
  • Linda

Gosh, it seems to me (but then I am somewhat intelligent) that if you really wanted the answer to this question you would read the bible and find out.

The point of living is to live. Death is a scary concept, especially when you believe that there's no afterlife. You said that it won't matter when you're dead, but nothing will. You'll be dead.