If my tree falls on my boat...boat insurance claim, or homeowners claim?

If I have my boat, in my dock, at my house, and my tree from my yard falls on my boat due to high winds, is it a boat insurance claim, or home owners insurance claim?

3 Answers

  • Anonymous
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Boat insurance.

    The damage to the boat should be covered by the boats comprehensive insurance and may be subject to a deductible. Your homeowners can't be used because any object that can be insured on its own, such as a boat must be used.

  • 6 years ago

    That claim is with the boat insurance. A standard homeowner's policy does not cover damage to other items besides the house from tree damage. Also note acts of god are usually excluded by state rules governing insurance. Example during a heavy storm lightning strikes my chimney, damage it and bricks fall on my neighbors car. He would have to submit a claim to his auto insurance company. If he did not have comprehensive coverage, then he would have to pay out of pocket.

    If he thought I should pay for the repairs and he sued, I think my homeowners policy would defend me and most likely win as the damage was due to an act of god.

  • 6 years ago

    "Acts of god"

    So you're telling me all these folks suffering from massive tornado damage, or hail damage, aren't covered?

    Are you sure Acts Of God are typically excluded?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.