Anonymous

What do you think of this assumption: The larger the minority population, the more likely you're treated poorly?

I was talking to this foreign exchanged student a while ago. He was very curious about African Americans and Hispanics/Latinos. Based on the media, I guess he had always pictured Americans as being white. He didn't understand why black people were discriminated against in the US. He said that people in his country hate Indians, Pakistanis more than black people. I was kind of surprised.

Later I looked up the demographics of the country: The South Asian population was high, just like the population of African Americans and Hispanics/Latinos in the United States. However, the black population in that country was similar to the East Asian population in the US.

I guess black people don't pose as a threat in that country because their population is smaller. Meanwhile, South Asians experience the most stereotypes and discrimination.

Would you agree that population size and a long racial history are the main reason that African Americans and Hispanics/Latinos are stereotyped so heavily in the US?

Favorite Answer

So you're saying that LGBT people are treated relatively well because they number 5% of the population?? You can't be serious. And by the way, "minority" is not an exclusively racial term.

• Lv 6
      6 years agoReport

and btw, why are you so threatened by gay people comparing our struggles to yours? It doesn't minimize what you go through.

This. Is going to sound. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo racist.. But..

"He didn't understand why black people were discriminated against in the US. He said that people in his country hate Indians, Pakistanis more than black people. I was kind of surprised." - It's okay, he's just never been to America to see the black people here and how MOST (not all) of them act... Just wait........

• This is going to sound prejudice... but most foreigners can't stand Americans. I wonder if it's part of the reason that the US government spends more than the next 26 countries combined on national defense!

I really don't know, I guess- because the more people, the more people of that kind who hate you. Or it could just be plain racism taught and passed down.