Should I still apply to West Point?

So I am a junior in High School and I am interested in applying and attending the US Military Academy. I have already created a Candidate Portal account, spoken to representatives at a local college fair, and I have contacted all of the Senators and congresswoman in my region. USMA really caught my attention because I have always wanted to help people, and with the outstanding academic program as well as the amazing opportunities USMA can present. I am still interested in applying and trying to get in, but as I learn more about the training sessions and the high demands of the college, I am worried if the opportunities and financial aid they provide is worth all the troubles and hardships of a military academy. I understand that this is the military and I should not expect anything less, but to be honest, it frightens me...I'm worried if I may not be good enough to even get in or if putting all of this effort into the application would be worth it. And what if I hate the military life, what do I do? Are these doubts just doubts or should I not even be worried?

Now you probably won't be able to answer this question without a little bit of information about me. I am a tri-varsity sports athlete, I have received a number of sports awards, I am the president of 4 clubs as well as captain (or soon to be captain according to my coaches) of my sports teams, I have been on the Summa *** Laude honor roll all through high school, and I have a number of academic awards.

Thank you

Favorite Answer

Since you are smart and athletic, you should not really have trouble with the rigors of West Point. You might even excel there, become a leader and a standout, but at least you shouldn't have trouble getting through.

What you may not know or expect, though, is that there is a huge amount of Mickey Mouse military hokum that you have to put up with and play along with at West Point. You'll have to learn all kinds of useless facts like the number of shoelace holes in your shoes and in Army "low quarters" (shoes), how tall is that flagpole over there, what year was this hall built, that kind of thing. And you'll have to stand at attention and answer questions by other cadets, and maybe have to go outside and guard a flagpole for six hours for some trivial or imaginary infraction. You'll have to be meticulous about your dress, wearing exactly the right uniform for each job or function or time of day, and you'll have to conform to the strange culture that has grown up at West Point over the decades--or be an outcast and be miserable. If you want to be an Army officer with the best chances of getting promoted rapidly, and of making general, then it's West Point for you--not ROTC, not OCS. You want to be a ring knocker and join the ranks of the privileged Long Gray Line. Your college experience won't be as free and as fun as if you chose Wisconsin or Berkeley or Columbia, but you'll have a career to be proud of--again, if that's what you want.

• Maggie

ROTC is something that you might also want to look into, most colleges/universities have ROTC programs. This will allow you to graduate with a degree and with military training experience. I am not sure how to ROTC program works, it is something that you might want to look into. As for West Point, it is a great school I have heard so much good things about it, someone in my family use to work there, but not for the school. Beautiful place let me juts say too. But if you are close enough, set up an interview with admissions there, they will be able to help you with your questions, and maybe even tell you more about how they can help you in the direction you are looking towards. It does not hurt to apply to West Point. But take a look into applying to West Point, at the same time maybe to other schools (in case you do not like the army). When you apply to other schools and go on the tours, in advance with the admissions if it is possible to meet with the ROTC. The school should be able to do that, whether it is a student, an adviser or a leader.