Jink asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 6 years ago

Are there regional Spanish Accents in South America?

Even as someone who just took Spanish in Middle and High school, I can tell that the Spanish spoken in Spain and the Spanish spoken in Mexico have different accents. But I was wondering if there was a difference I can't hear in the Spanish of the different countries in Central and South America. For example, can Mexicans tell if someone is Chilean or Peruvian from the way they speak Spanish?

Sorry if this is a totally dumb question.

Favorite Answer

Yes, there are various accents across the continent. The two most recognizable are the Rioplatense accent, which is the area around the Rio Plata, basically Uruguay and Buenos Aires. This accent was heavily influenced by large waves of Italian immigration, so it has an Italian tone to it. The other main accent is the Caribbean accent located in Venezuela and Colombia. This accent doesn't pronounce the S at the end of words and R's become L-sounds. Additionally, in Bolivia and especially Paraguay, they use a lot of words borrowed from the indigenous languages from the region.

Not a dumb question at all. The answer is yes, there are many regional dialects that one will come across, and many of them are recognizable. I did some consulting work in several South American countries, and I could tell some differences. I could not uniquely identify them as I heard them, but they were different, and they were understandable.

Of course...