How do I keep this foam electric fan-boat boat from sinking?

I've attempted to make a small electric fan-boat, around 9 cm wide, 32 cm long, powered by a 9 volt electric battery connected to an electric motor. The fan mechanism works fine, and the boat can keep itself floating. However, whenever I attempt to put on the battery while the boat is in the water, it tips... show more I've attempted to make a small electric fan-boat, around 9 cm wide, 32 cm long, powered by a 9 volt electric battery connected to an electric motor. The fan mechanism works fine, and the boat can keep itself floating. However, whenever I attempt to put on the battery while the boat is in the water, it tips over. Is there any way that I can modify the boat so that this does not happen?

The boat is made of all Styrofoam, with two cylinders holding up a square body. The fan, which is connected to the motor, is placed slightly elevated above the rest of the base of the boat with a small half circle stand, hot glued to it.

Any advice would be great. Thank you.