Arthurian fiction?

I have a huge hankering for books or movies that take place in Arthurian Britain (Either just before Roman occupation, or right after Roman occupation that involve the legends and Gods of Albion). Any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

For both history and fantasy MISTS OF AVALON by Marion Zimmer Bradley but I think that is a bit 'fluffy bunny new age' tbh

Straight retellings of a post Roman era include Sword at Sunset by Rosemary Sutcliff, Firelord by Parke Godwin and Mary Stewart's books. They are realistic but do include references to the gods and spirits worshipped at the time.

For something different STONE LORD and MOON LORD by J.P. Reedman retell the legends of King Arthur but with a real twist...rather than in Darkb Age Britain, they are set in the bronze age, around Stonehenge (which is mentioned in Geoffrey of Monmouth as being built by Merlin--of course it was not built in that era at all but in the late neolithic/early bronze age.)

A little different take might be Daughter of Camelot by Glynis Cooney.. I stumbled across it this winter.

It involves the outer edges at the fall of Arthur. I won't give too much but I like the that it takes the classic story is true to the legend but adds in some fresh perspectives.

Anything that can mix Picts Romans and Knights is pretty good in my opinion