Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 6 years ago

If a puppy has 1 shot out of the 2 first vaccinations before it goes to a home that is recent parvo infected how safe would it be?

This question is in relation to my earlier question which you can find on this link: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Aj6I...

The puppy would have its second vaccination after the 2 week waiting period but it would spend 2 weeks in this house without full protection.

The reason I am asking this is because I know that puppies get a certain amount of immunisation from its mothers milk that lasts a while even after weaning.

I would be so appreciative if you could answer both questions.

Thanks

Favorite Answer

This is a bit of a long winded answer, but hopefully it'll help.

Firstly, you're right in saying that puppies get some immunisation from their mothers but the problem is that pup's antibody absorption from the mother's milk rapidly declines after 24hrs, so if the puppy didn't get a lot of milk in its first 24h of life, it won't have that much immunity from its mum.

The immunity that the puppy gets from its mum doesn't last for long either. By the time the pup is 30 days old, its immunity from its mum has dropped to 1-3% of its original value. So the pup is obviously very vulnerable at this stage. Also faster growing breeds 'get rid' of their maternal antibodies quicker than slower growing breeds.

The problem with vaccination is, if its given while the maternal antibodies are still at a high level, they will stop the vaccination working (they 'block' the vaccination). So the vaccine must be given when the level of maternal antibodies has naturally dropped low enough. But then the vaccination takes time to work, so you can see there is a window where the puppy hardly has any antibodies from mum left, and the vaccination hasn't taken effect yet.

The reason that puppies have to have 2 injections, is that the first injection will provide cover for the puppies where the maternal antibodies have dropped quite early. The second injection covers those that still had a high level of maternal antibodies when the first injection was given, and so the first vaccine would have been blocked, but by the time the second vaccine is given, the maternal antibodies will have dropped and they'll be covered by the second one.

With parvovirus, there could be a window of up to 5 weeks where the pup is very vulnerable. At the time of first vaccination the pup might have a high enough level of antibodies to block the vaccine, but the antibody level could be too low to fight off an infection if it was exposed to parvo. It wouldn't have any immunity until 2 weeks after the second vaccination.

Because parvovirus is so good at surviving in the environment, I would avoid putting any puppy in a house where an animal had died of parvovirus. And since Rottweilers seem to be more susceptible, then I think you would be asking for trouble big time.

I'm not sure if you're saying you're getting the puppy, or your friend is, but if it's you who's getting one, I would keep it away from your friends house, and ask your friend to disinfect her shoes and hands before coming in to your house.

Best of luck

Source(s): Vet student

The puppy is not safe at all. Vaccinations at 6 weeks have only a 25% chance of "taking" due to interference by maternal antibodies. As you're aware, those antibodies can wear off at any time, and that leaves a "window of susceptibility" during which the puppy can contract parvo even if he is on a good schedule for vaccinations. I'll find a link for you that explains that really well.

The parvo virus WILL still be in your friend's house and yard. It survives 6 months to 2 or more years, can only be killed with bleach. The only dog your friend should get is a dog at least 20 weeks of age that was last vaccinated for parvo at 18 weeks of age or older (allowing 10 to 14 days for the puppy to produce his own antibodies).

Here's the article I mentioned: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2115&a... . Show it to your friend. If he ends up getting a dog anyway, all you can do is hope it's one of the minority who was protected by its first shot (maternal antibodies wore off early).

BTW, be aware that parvo can be tracked in on their (or your) shoes. If you get a new puppy yourself, avoid your friend's house and don't allow them near your home or puppy until the puppy has had at least 3 shots.

I wouldn't get a puppy until the yard & house has been cleaned of parvo.

Don't get a pup now or it will almost certainly die of parvo.

Talk to your Vet about this & get advice from him/her. They have something that works or there couldn't be new puppies coming in for their 3 puppy shots, given two to three week apart. What do they use to clean up after a infected pup?

I personally wouldn't risk it before all necessary vaccines (even with the breast feeding)

Best advice to give you would be to phone a couple of your local vets and ask them all your questions, explain the situation and see what they can tell you. Make sure to talk to a couple though so you're able to have a full understanding and a second opinion. It's easy to talk to people over the Internet but unfortunately 95% aren't experts. Hope I helped, good luck 🐶