Does God need a beginning? How do we explain "everlasting to everlasting"?

I often hear from skeptics that saying God does not need a beginning while everything else does is a kind of special pleading. Of course, I do know many things about God surpass human logic, otherwise he would not be worth worshipping, since we would know everything about him. So, If God does need a beginning, how would we then explain how he is eternal, as there is the saying "everlasting to everlasting"?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Jim V
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Best Answer

When skeptics assert "special pleading" what they are doing is demonstrating a lack of understanding of the essentially different categories of /eternal and non-contingent entities/ and /temporal and contingent entities/.

Many times skeptics just assert that there is no such thing as an eternal and non-contingent entity, which places the assertion of "special pleading" into circular reasoning.

If God had a beginning then God would not be eternal.

If God had a cause then God would not be non-contingent - which initiates an infinite chain of causation.

/Something/ has got to be the basis of reality and God is much more reasonable than any naturalistic hypothesis.

• Zachary6 years agoReport

Not only that, but I guess their assertion would result in circular reasoning, now that I think about it, since it would just revert back to talking about eternity back where we started the conversation. Kind of makes that "fallacy" Questionable, in that light. Occam's Razor, anybody?

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

>So, If God does need a beginning, how would we then explain how he is eternal

By using special pleading.

You may start to figure it out soon...

That was kind of helpful, but not quite satisfactory, as it did not explore everything I asked. Thanks for your help, anyway.

• "Beginning" refers to our time-space domain. God exists beyond it.

• 6 years ago

It's the only way their silly story and claims can work...

The claimed, "outside space and time' wasn't even thought of until the concept of 'space/time' were created less than 100 years ago... we didn't even know there were other galaxies until about100 years ago... and the writers of the Bible had no idea what a star, planet comet or meteor really was....

History has shown that every time a new scientific discovery is made to challenge the religious dogmas, their god is moved back to the point now that the religious just claim that no matter what is found to be true, it was done by their god...

This is most evident in the present claims by the religious on this sight that science is just the way we discover what their god has done... LOL

TD is hilarious...

IMHO

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Althea
    Lv 6
    6 years ago

You may find this article helpful entitled "The Bible Viewpoint: The Nature of God"

Source: May 2013 Awake magazine

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102013167#h=0:0...

• 6 years ago

Well, God has been just the same since the creation of the universe. Surely that can count as everlasting.

• MYOB
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Isaiah 43 v 10-13 Gods answer, not a persons

Well, it would make sense that he would exist before time, and before time, there would be nothing but him, since everything on Earth exists within a timeframe.

• 6 years ago

This question has driven me nuts for years. I finally came to the conclusion that the only thing that has no beginning or end is potential. The realization of that potential, to become God, is what happened to make God who and what He is. We have that same potential, but the beginning of our godhood isn't when we're finally "given a license" to create universes, it began with our potential, which, as I say, has no beginning.

That kind of promotes polytheism, and it is written in the Bible, "He is our God, there is none else." I appreciate your contribution to this whole thing, but I must disagree.

• 6 years ago

Jehovah God is ETERNAL without beginning or end.

Watch this 2 minute video and learn a lot--God bless:

http://www.jw.org/en/video-why-study-the-bible/

• 6 years ago

You are asking theoretical questions about a god in a storybook. No answer can be given, except from that storybook and since the people who wrote that book have no understanding of what time or eternity even is, it cannot be answered.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.