What is the cheapest way to move?

I'll be moving halfway across the country, (Nebraska to Kentucky). I moved earlier in the year, and used a 14' box truck to move my things, but I was moving apartments within the same city. I have a full size truck, but I don't think truck rental places like U-Haul or Penske offer any trailers with the same volume capacity as the 14' box truck, (733 cu. ft.). Towing my truck behind another truck would be uneconomical because of the strain on the moving truck's engine. Anyone with personal experience moving across the country? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Penske has much larger options and with larger trucks, large enough engines that can provide for vehicle towing. Just be glad there are no mountains between Nebraska and Kentucky. If the load is too much for you, consider hiring a local mover to load the truck for you, and another one in Kentucky to unload. They work so fast it will likely serve to save you money on the cost of the truck rental, than the longer process of doing it yourself.

• Susan

I moved about 500 miles using a uHaul truck with a tow dolly, and that was through mountainous areas too. No sweat, it's normal, common practice. Other than towing the other vehicle, there was very little difference between that and moving across town.

• R P

A friend of mine recently moved from SC back to FL. He rented a 17" UHaul truck and towed his vehicle on a trailer (not a tow dolly). Those trucks are made to carry a lot of cargo and tow a loaded full-size trailer.

Source(s): FL landlord