promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Cons: How is a limited government possible with your current foreign policy platform?

How are you planning to drown the largest military budget in the history of the solar system in a bathtub?

You can whine and complain all you want about big government liberals, but this is actually one area where you could take the lead on supporting widespread cuts and a change in philosophy and probably get a lot of support from the other side. You can even have all the credit.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The need for military involvement around the world is a choice we have had to make in order to protect our economy.

Our economy is entirely dependent on fossil fuels - as are the economies of every industrialized nation. For us to become oil independent in a really meaningful way will take a lot more than cap and trade, or government investment in solar companies - it will take the development of secondary markets in hybrid, electric, or hydrogen vehicles. Right now, after almost 20 years, only 3% of the vehicles on the road are hybrids. It will take 50 more before we transition over. It will take a monumental effort by 350 million citizens of this country to completely change their behavior and the way we live.

Every single presidential election in my lifetime - which goes back as far as Kennedy, has hinged upon the economy. Jobs. The value of the dollar. Inflation. Prices of food, homes, cars.

Involvement in the areas of the world that produce oil is necessary for the economic survival of this country, a necessary evil for the politicians that run this country to pursue.

Understand that it does not have to be like this. We can, as a population, make an effort to turn down the heat in the winter, open our windows in the summer, car-pool or ride a bike to work, take public transportation, put away our power-mowers and weed-wackers and take up rotary mowers and clippers, and forego the unlimited texting option on the latest iPhone and put our money instead into solar panels for our homes or a loan for a hybrid car ... but we would rather carp at each other and feel smug because "I believe in Global Warming and You Don't So You're Stupid".

As a nation, we can wean ourselves from the need for foreign involvement almost immediately - and remove the power right out from under them in one simple step - and that's called Oil Exploration And Drilling. We have reserves to the tune of millions of barrels of oil a day in the Bakken reserve - so much that we cannot transport it fast enough - because we are unable to build the pipelines to do so.

http://www.ogj.com/articles/print/volume-111/issue...

http://www.ogj.com/articles/print/volume-112/issue...

We have untapped reserves in ANWR to the tune of billions of barrels of oil.

http://www.anwr.org/Background/How-much-oil-is-in-...

Since taking office, the Obama administration has aggressively blocked, hindered and delayed American energy production.

http://naturalresources.house.gov/roadblocks/

This increases, not decreases, our dependence on foreign sources. While we don't buy oil from the Middle East or Russia, and it is true that we are a "net exporter" of oil, that simply isn't enough. Between Russia and Saudi Arabia, those two nations control over 25% of world oil production, and with their new alliance with Syria, Iran and Iraq, they have complete control over the supply and demand of oil, and all the US can do is react.

Our Army, our Navy, our Air Force and Marines are around the world, in harm's way, protecting shipping lanes for our allies to import oil, our CIA is covertly involved in every struggle in the Middle East in hopes that US friendly regimes will gain a foothold. After backing down on our European Missile Defense system, Russia has moved into Ukraine, giving them control over Ukraine natural gas fields and a convenient avenue for delivery of their own oil to European markets.

We are not interested in "Human Rights". In every country that we claim to be spreading Democracy or protecting "Human Rights", there is oil under the ground that reveals our true motives.

We can walk away from this almost immediately - Bakken, ANWR, the Keystone XL, the renewal of the offshore oil leases closed by Obama - all of this will put the US back on the map for producing the commodity of the world - and as a secondary benefit, will produce the wealth necessary to fund the research to remove us entirely from dependence on fossil fuels. It will create jobs directly and lower the cost of energy for businesses and individuals, resulting in the indirect creation of more jobs. Our withdrawal from covert ops in the Middle East will have a marked effect on the reduction of the hatred of the US by terrorist organizations, and will put us on a level playing field with our adversaries without missiles or guns.

So - as long as you want to make a deal - I'll take your deal and YOU can have all the credit. You take off the restraints keeping us from producing the oil we so desperately need, and we'll scale back the military to the levels you want. It's a win-win. What do you say?

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 6
      6 years agoReport

Thanks for the B/A; be careful about stereotyping - there are a lot more like me than there are of the other kind.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

We have too many federal government agencies that we don't need, we could Cut out about 30% of the agencies and No one would even notice, We also could cut the size of most agencies by 40%, and No one would notice, Just the EPA alone has over 17,000 employs, That could be cut in half, The only reason we have so many government agencies and employs was to put people to work, That's Not what our Gov't is for,

• 6 years ago

Conservatives have mastered the art of doublespeak. On one hand they claim to support small government and spending cuts. On the other they criticize any attempt to scale back defense spending.

And the conservative base stares at this without blinking. They don't even see the irony.

• 6 years ago

Enhance the military budget and get rid of entitlements. Foreign policy has always been to benefit the United States and make us better. Whatever does that,

Attachment image
    • ...Show all comments
    • 6 years agoReport

LOL! This libsrnutz guy must think you have multiple personalty disorder because I don't see how he can think we're the same person.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

Oh don't even get me started on our military budget. we could cut it in half and STILL have a larger military budget than every other country. meanwhile our soldiers with families qualify for all government assistance, because when they have 1 kid, they are officially below the poverty line. we will spend a 100 billion dollars on a fighter jet that still does not work but our soldiers cannot feed their kids? True libertarian conservatives are all for cutting the military budget.

• bond
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Military and foreign affairs is the number one original function of the feds. All the other crap they now stick their noses into was intended to be states issues.

• Worthlesser
      Lv 7
      6 years agoReport

The function is defense of the homeland. None of our modern interventions have anything to do with defense and that function of government could be done much more efficiently and at a far lower expense.

• LAN
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Part of a limited government would be a scaling back of foreign involvement.

I see you hid your history after I pointed out that it just showed that you and Original Liberal were the same person.

• ...Show all comments
    • Worthlesser
      Lv 7
      6 years agoReport

Well I don't know what to tell you buddy. how does my following a person make them me? I have never changed any preferences the whole time I've had this account. We don't even have similar political views

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.