Rehoming a dog with issues?

Do NOT tell me to put him down, because that is NOT going to happen. I have a Newfoundland mix, Link, and he is dog aggressive. I believe that his aggression stems from fear. Unfortunately, he does also have a bite history. Just once and just after we first got him, mind you, and he was cornered and scared at the... show more Do NOT tell me to put him down, because that is NOT going to happen. I have a Newfoundland mix, Link, and he is dog aggressive. I believe that his aggression stems from fear. Unfortunately, he does also have a bite history. Just once and just after we first got him, mind you, and he was cornered and scared at the time, but he still bit. I strongly feel that he is not a lost cause, because he is in a much better place than he was when he first came to us. However, he needs someone who is experienced and able to work with him. He is very energetic and sweet, but I just think that he is more than I can handle at the moment. It really breaks my heart to even consider this. Has anyone had any experience rehoming "problem" dogs? Is there a route that I can take to make sure he ends up in a good home? Thank you.
Update: Thank you everyone. I think I'm going to just keep him. He isn't an immediate danger to the family, and with his issues, there aren't many other choices. I'm just going to work with him.