Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 6 years ago

slow Windows 7 gets really annoying. Can I do something except hardware upgrade?

Please note that I currently have 8GB RAM installed and do not really experience any problems because of hardware. I also use licenced AVG antivirus so I'm pretty sute that the cause of poor performance is not malware. I use this copy of Windows 7 for 2 years already, I have lots of usefull programs installed, numerous files that I do not want to lose, tons of passwords remembered automatically that I don't have an opportunity to recover now...

The main sympthoms are: exstreeemly slow startup and shut down (5-7min), chrome/firefox tabs are opening slow although the internet speed is ok, sometimes I experience freezes when watching high quality videos or try to open several programs at the same time (for example chrome, photoshop and Windows Media player)

Favorite Answer

There are dozens of issues that can slow down you Windows 7, really.

- fragmented HDD (problem is inevitable after a long period of usage)

- fragmented registry (occurs due large number of installs and especially - wrong uninstalls, antiviruses activities, etc)

- system useless files, duplicates, cache, other junk (when Windows is not re-installed for a long period)

- malware (even the best antivirus programs can't assure the highest level of protection because tons of new viruses are released daily)

You can check for all these issues by downloading PC optimization kits and running a full scan of your system. This kind of software usually fixes all the errors found as well. To pick one to try you can check the lists of the best ones here http://lifehacker.com/397792/five-best-windows-mai... or here http://www.error-fixes.com/articles/fix-slow-compu... or read some helpful material before you choose a software here http://www.cleancomputerkitty.com/articles

The other thing is hardware. RAM or CPU may just not be enough to run Winows smoothly. Combined with the software troubles described above it becomes an evil mix that wouldn't ever let your computer to have a great performance. But it's not an issue in this particular case. 8gb of RAM is pretty enough for Windows 7. What is you CPU, by the way?

And the last one is overheating (if you use lap top). It happens mostly because the fans do not work properly or because of the dust accumulated inside. Try to use any temperature and performance monitor gadget like CPU Meter to watch if any of this kind of problems occur.

• Nahum

Have you tried testing your hard drive? If it is failing, but hasn't triggered any warning from the operating system, it may cause slow access. The system can also be slow if the hard drive is near full, although the OS will usually warn you about this problem.

Don't count out viruses, as some can still slip past antivirus programs by means of browser plugins. Restart in Safe Mode and try doing a scan.

Having multiple symptoms, especially if they seem unrelated, can all point to a problem with your power supply, or the power-related components on the motherboard. Such a problem may be caused by having a bad or no surge protector, or low-quality components. A computer technician can test these for you.

• DX4

If I understood correctly format is not an option.

Try opening task manager and see the processes. You can sort them to see the process that uses the most cpu. If the pc is idle and something is using the cpu when it's not supposed to then you found the problem.

If nothing uses CPU while the computer is idle try watching a video on youtube. If the flash player only reaches 100% cpu then it's probably something wrong with the cooler of the cpu.

do the following

Disk Defragmentation

Disk cleanup

Uninstall unwanted software.

Free more space in your C drive by instaling the software into Another drive.

install a good antivirus program.

Get CCleaner its great for solving startup speed problems as I have used it on my computer that used to take 15 mins to start up and after i used it it only takes 3 mins, Its free aswell

clean all ur junk files. from run command

run->%temp% and delete all the files

run-> temp and delete all files

run-->prefetch delete al the files

install ccleaner software.

run-->msconfig and select startup(tab) and choose which applications u donot want to start while ur computer is booting.(this will save ur booting time and makes faster boot)

(choose as the best answer)

Source(s): Experience

So your hardware is perfect its just that win7 gets annoying start-up after some months and just use disk cleanup and don't use shutdown, better to use hibernate because its fast and keeps your work safe .

I hope it helped thanks!

The problem of slow pc may be caused not only by Windows 7 or any other one, so giving the author advices like "clean your pc and everything will be ok forever and ever" is not quite right strategy. Before starting to speak about windows optimization you should take into account that there also may be hardware issues. Yeah, it's costly to upgrade but still...

• ?5 years agoReport

Computer running slow Windows 7 is most likely the cause of system problems. For sure new hardware will improve the situation but these programs may help to make Windows stable. At least the author's probles was solved with the help cleaning software.

Defrag drive and registry.

So..

CCleaner is the best tool on the market to clean up your pc. Download here http://j.mp/UrAF38

I guess it's the sotware you need.

Have a nice day