Hey, what's the deal with the folks who are reviving the practice of absinthe drinking? Are they really recreating the old formula?

My understanding is that the "old timey" stuff used to be a really potent, toxic, dangerous & sometimes fatal concoction made from wormwood...and was true "wood alcohol". The modern absinthe you can buy in a liquor store is a much safer drink....but I'm a little confused about whether people going to absinthe parties these days are drinking the modern, legal version or "the real deal" ....the old & dangerous formula.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Lava
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

1. Wormwood never did anything special, other than contribute to liver disease. Modern absinthe will have none, or would have only trace amounts that are not as risky for your health.

2. Absinthe is strong, which is why people were going nuts hallucinating in gutters. They weren't tripping, they were hard core alcoholics. Think Nic Cage in Leaving Las Vegas.

3. Modern people, still being somewhat stupid, have chosen to ignore all the evidence that absinthe was never psychoactive because that's less fun than the stories that it was, and yes, some are adding wormwood oil to absinthe. Which will contribute to liver disease, but won't do much else. And if you start seeing stuff on absinthe.....that would have happened with enough Everclear or bathtub gin too. You're drunk, fools.

4. No modern booze will be anywhere near as scary as booze a century ago. We have regulations now, like not selling the booze from the vat that an employee fell into and drowned in. Unless you bought it from a crazy mountain man, ethanol is high quality and relatively safe from contaminants.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

The liquor industry has been heavily regulated for almost a century, there is nothing you could buy at a liquor store that would cause any physical effect other than alcoholic intoxication, if you want the "old time" stuff you will have to buy it (illegally) from a gypsy wagon or make it yourself in the bathtub, however that "hallucinogenic" effect is the result of getting poisoned (and perhaps dying) by the impurities, better just stick to the modern legal stuff.

• LaAn
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Absinthe isn't made with wormwood anymore because it's toxic in higher doses, and there was so little left after distilling the alcohol that you'd have to consume a lot to feel it. Because of the high alcohol percentage and alcholoism, it's more likely that people just drank themselves to death than anything. People need to be very careful with absinthe. I would say it's more the thrill of it than anything.

• lara
    Lv 4
    6 years ago

Absinthe is still the good old absinthe in most countrys, but in some countrys they have changed it usa, aus, uk and prob more. Get a bottle of green fairy in czech republic (where its from) and it is still the same as the old.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Sam
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

I'm looking at a bottle of it now, and it says, contains wormwood.

I don't have a lot of tolerance to alcohol, but some,

and one jigger of this stuff does a number on me.

Maybe it's just the sugar and alcohol, but there is a different buzz to it, more like floating.

I'm not crazy about the taste.

• 6 years ago

http://www.absinthefever.com/thujone:Visit this Website and you will then start worshipping Absinthe.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

They're both the same and both are legal, the misconception that absinthe was dangerous came from the hallucinogen thujone which is present in very low doses in absinthe but, has no effect at these doses and you'd be more likely to drink yourself to death before ever experiencing it. Modern regulations limit the amount of thujone allowed in absinthe but, historic examples were often below this limit and meet all modern regulations. Absinthe today is made in several different ways, higher end brands tend to use the more traditional recipes and are either clear or very lightly colored, lower end brands use artificial flavoring and colors lending them a much more vibrant appearance though they may lack in the flavor aspect. Absinthe was originally thought to contain as much as ten times the amount of thujone as it actually does and this was the reason it was banned for a period of time.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.