What is your favorite book? Or your favorite author?

I'm in the market for a new book to read. I read most everything, but I prefer romance or science fiction. Mystery is okay, history is okay. I don't really like non-fiction, too much. Give me your ideas for my next book.

Oh, and I love book series!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Some of my classic favorite authors are Kurt Vonnegut, James Thurber, and O. Henry. Vonnegut I like because he's irreverent and a little crazy, just like life. Thurber and O. Henry are funny as hell, but also so so smart.

Fav romance authors are Rachel Gibson and Katie McAlister. Gibson writes good, funny, sexy stuff and McAlister is also sexy funny, and sometimes has a bit of a fantasy twist.

Other good contemporary romance authors are Susan Mallery, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Jill Shalvis, Kristan Higgins, Victoria Dahl , Carly Phillips, and Jennifer Crusie.

Here are some of my favorite fantasy series. Pretty much all of the female authors have an underlying romance, though not necessarily sex.

The Study series - Maria V. Snyder

Five Hundred Kingdoms series - Mercedes Lackey

Twelve Houses series - Sharon Shinn

The Walker Papers series - C.E. Murphy

The Summoning series - Robin D. Owens

Lost Continent series - Catherine Asaro

Mercy Thompson series - Patricia Briggs

Pegasus series - Robin McKinley

Last Dragonslayer series - Jasper Fforde

MythAdventure series - Robert Lynn Asprin

Hitchhiker series - Douglass Adams

Kingkiller Chronicles - Patrick Rothfuss

Non-series:

Od Magic - Patricia A McKillip

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch - Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman

Some really great young readers series (these make an easy, quick read for adults, too!)

The Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis

Harry Potter - J.K. Rowlings

Fablehaven - Brandon Mull

Rangers Apprentice - John Flanagan

Septimus Heap - Angie Sage

• Rose D
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

For sci fi, try Connie Willis, Sheri S Tepper, John Scalzi, Cherie Priest or Neal Stephenson. For romance, try the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger.

• 6 years ago

Series:

MythAdventures by Robert Asprin

Dragon Riders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey

Shadow Children by Margaret Haddix

Xanth by Piers Anthony

Amber Chronicles by Roger Zelazny

Songs from the Seashell Archives by Elizabeth Scarborough

These two are single books:

Rite of Passage by Alexei Panshin

Emergence by David Palmer

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Well, If you're interested in dystopian fiction and want to read a series, I can think of nothing better suggesting than The Hunger Games series By Suzanne Collins

But, if mystery is ok, I would suggest And Then There Were None or The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie. A guaranteed suspense thriller! :) Happy reading!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

My first impression on reading books is Zzzzzzzzz, but this one kept me glued

That Kiss in the Rain

by Novoneel Chakraborty

• 6 years ago

"Fashion Slaves" is my favorite book at the moment along with "The Fault in Our Stars" :)

• 6 years ago

danielle steele

• 6 years ago

THE MAZE RUNNER BY JAMES DASHNER

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.