How much do you remember about growing up using well water?

Did you actually have a well near you when you were a child?

I grew up in a village and there was no running water. We mainly relied on well water. I remember how I (and my family) lowered a bucket down the well to draw water to carry home. Father went to work and mother did this dangerous job. When she or other family members (including me) leaned forward and reached down to get water, I would be a bit frightened for our safety.

Well water was good, warm in winter and cold in summer. In hot days, kids liked to soak water melons in it before eating. In freezingly cold mornings, using well-water to wash our face was a wonderful feeling!

• Ann
    Favorite Answer

My grandparents had an artesian well, which meant the water was always flowing. In the winter, they would have to lower buckets down under the ground to bring up water, because the surface water was frozen. The water was much better than the stuff we drink from city taps today. Of course, they had a hand pump to get water for the kitchen sink, and they would heat water on their wood stove for baths. They poured the hot water into a big metal tub set close to the fireplace in the winter. My grandmother also had a big black washtub and a scrub board she used for laundry. There were actually two tubs--one for soapy water and one for rinse water. In the winter, the laundry would be hung out to dry and when it was brought in, it would be frozen stiff.

Never even saw a well until I moved overseas to Hungary.

We almost bought a small country house that had it's own well. The house had running water and full bath but the well was still in operation for the land use. It had certificates from the health dept. stating it was very good quality water and fit for drinking purposes.

It was one of the several cute features of the home that made me want to buy it, thatched roof, clay walls and area for chicken and small animals. It was only a 10 min. car ride to the lake too.

moved to the city instead, Budapest.

The old crank style wells that used to be throughout the city are now gone. The entire city of Budapest is built over a huge natural mineral water lake. This is why they have so many spas in the city.

On a few country roads you can still see city wells in use and cranks on the side of the road that give out cool fresh water to travelers. Really nice that they left those in operation.

My MIL had a small farm with city water but they also had a well for use for the land.

Most people who live in the countryside in Hungary seem to have both options.

Nice to know you can still get fresh water even if there is a problem with the city water system.

We had well water and it never ran out. No actual well, with a bucket, if that's what you mean. We always had running water, hot and cold. Though I do remember that if my dad was taking a shower, you NEVER turned on the water in the kitchen! Because that would cause the shower water to rise to scalding temps and you could hear him yelling all over the house, LOL. We have well water where we live now, but it has such a metallic taste that we don't use it for drinking, only for washing and bathing.

As a kid we always had well water....even when we moved a couple of times.....each place had a well. Once I married and moved around a lot it was always "city" water.....except here on my FIL's place. He had well water until the late 1990s. I hated the taste of that water!!!! We moved here in 2000 just after getting the city water.....I'd have used store bought if the change hadn't been made.

• ?

I grew up in the 1950's in the UK and we had hot and cold

running water. The hot water came from a gas boiler in the

bathroom. My only experience of "well water" was in the

Summer months when I would stay on my Uncle's farm

near Barnard Castle. it was a traditional stone lined well

with a little wooden pitched canopy over it, those buckets

of water were like a crystal clear dew from heaven after a

hot day working in the fields.

• jonds

Our hand pump was far away from our outhouse which was next to the chicken coop. We didn't have running water until I was 6 or 7. My old man has lived there since 1947.

• Micol

As a kid of the 40's/50's we relied on well water for all of our needs. The hand crank was behind our grandmother's house next door. When I bought my first house, two lots up the street, in 63 the cistern was fed by rain water collected from the roof runoff and was under the garage floor. I now live in Honduras and the Village Water is pumped from a common well and is not fit to drink. Everybody depends on purchased bottled water.

UP to 7 years ago, we had a well. City water came back then. Still have a septic tank. No sewer yet.

I had running water. My mother remembers walking to the center of her town and getting well water. They used the cistern in the basement for bath water,

They did have a small well that they used in the kitchen by pumping it. I have some vague memory of my grandparents home back when I was very young.

• Judee

We had running water in our home when I was a child but there was a well not far away for those few houses still not yet on piped water.

I grew up in a town whose water supply came from an abundant aquifer in the California desert. It was the town with the cleanest water supply in the Southern part of the state until it was ruined by industrial pollution.

Source(s): This was the incident described in the movie Erin Brockavich.