Does 70% chance of rain mean it will rain?

I live in Houston. But before I checked it said 100% chance of rain then 70% chance of rain on Tuesday. Will it rain


Thanks. Now they changed to a 90%. By my guess it might rain heavy

5 Answers

  • 🌪
    Lv 6
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    The percentage of the chance of rain is determined by the probability of precipitation. Probability of precipitation is the probability that precipitation will fall at any point, averaged over the forecast area.

    In your case, a 70% chance of rain means that there will be a 70% chance that rain will occur at any given point in the area. It also means that there is a 30% chance that it will not rain. Being that it is a 70% chance, there is a very good chance it will rain.

    Source(s): Meteorologist/Storm spotter & chaser
    • Login to reply the answers
  • BJJ
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

    I think a 70% chance means it will be more than likely it will

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

    No it means it is 70% likely to rain.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • TQ
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

    Short answer: a 70% chance of rain means the operations weather forecaster thinks rain is more likely than not.

    Longer answer:

    A 70% chance of rain means every point in the forecast area has an 70% chance of observing measurable precipitation (at least 0.01") during the forecast period. It also means rain is expected over 70% of the forecast area.

    Contrary to popular does NOT mean... will rain 70% of the time during the forecast period. out of ten times when conditions were the rained.'s the probability that more than 1/100th of an inch of precipitation will fall in a single spot... averaged over the forecast area.

    50% is considered a 'good' chance b/c either outcome (rain; no rain) is equally likely.

    60% is considered a 'likely' chance b/c the odds are tilted in favor of one outcome over another.

    Any forecast for precipitation having at least an 80% chance of occurrence is simply stated as 'rain' without a probability.


    For the flat-earthers who dispute the idea POP infers areal coverage...

    Short read.

    Flip to page four for the final word.

    It's just a peer-reviewed paper published in a well-respected pointed-headed journal for egghead atmospheric there's obviously nothing of value to see here.

    Source(s): National Weather Service operational weather forecaster
    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

    Usually it's a lie. Even 90% chance is a lie. Nobody can predict the weather 100%.... so all meteorologists make money off lies.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.