Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Christians, what influence do you think recreational drugs have on people's interest in Jesus?

Does anyone know the stats on recreational

drug-taking over the years?

Would this impact interest in Jesus? Explain?

• Bruce
    Favorite Answer

While it depends on the effects of the particular recreational drug, in general, a drug taken to get high is by definition a drug that impedes the normal process of rational thinking.

The fashionable drug today is marijuana, which is a sedative hypnotic. It acts by sedating the person and inducing a mild hypnotic state. A hypnotic state is one where critical thinking is turned off, so that one is defenseless against suggestions, however false. Those under the influence of marijuana are easily disposed to grandiose positive thoughts or paranoid negative thoughts. This means that the rational faculties that distinguish us from all other creatures function poorly, if at all, under its influence.

Today's marijuana is 13 times as potent in THC as the marijuana smoked in the 1970s (see first link). The potency can run even higher when marijuana is baked into cookies or brownies. Given the lack of critical thinking under marijuana coupled with urgent hunger, overdose is likely with these sources. In addition, edible marijuana products invite accidental use and use by children. For these reasons, Colorado is seeing many more emergencies, especially with ingested marijuana (see second link).

Clearly, the Christian view is that the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and that the Christian must say no to recreational drugs. The use of drugs as an artificial high is in direct conflict with the actions of Christians who seek to please God, the Most High.

Cheers,

Bruce

• Cassie

I'm not a Christian, so I haven't really researched this topic.

But I still think a distinction needs to be made between different types of drugs, in order for this question to be a meaningful one.

Is alcohol, or methamphetamine, or a very large dose of caffeine, ever going to make someone have a spiritual experience..? Probably not. It is highly unlikely. But how about LSD, or magic mushrooms, or DMT..? Not necessarily. It doesn't ALWAYS happen, and it largely depends on the person who is taking it. But it definitely CAN happen! And indeed, it frequently does. :)

I personally use psychedelic drugs for spiritual purposes, (about once a month, on average), and they have been of immense value to me! I have had a number of spiritual realizations, and feel much closer to what I personally see as God now, because of it. As a matter of fact, I started out as an atheist with no interest in spirituality before I had these experiences. And now I'm a highly spiritual panentheist, although I'm still not religious. They've changed my life for the better, not just in that way, but in just about every single way I can think of. And I'll always be extremely f*cking grateful for it! <3

As for how I see Jesus now, versus how I used to see him back then: I used to just think Christianity was full of sh*t, and I rejected the Jesus story along with everything else. These days, I am still not a Christian, but I greatly admire Jesus as a character! I don't agree with everything he says in the Bible. But I still think it's a very special story, with a beautiful message. It really gets to me, when I think of it... How someone can be THAT full of love. So full of love that they're willing to sacrifice their own life, and indeed sacrifice everything, for the sake of their beloved. If that's not something to admire, I don't know what is. <3 ..So let's just say, I now find meaning in the Jesus story. But I'm still not a Christian. (Way too much dogma for me, and the church also makes lots of claims I do not see eye to eye with.)

If you feed psychedelic drugs to someone who is a Christian, though, they will probably interpret their experience within a Christian framework, if they do indeed have a spiritual experience. This could definitely make them more interested in Jesus, yes! They would probably feel closer to him, and to what they see as God. :)

Source(s): Personal experience.

It makes them forget and loose control

they have no influence on it