Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 6 years ago

Yeast infection during period?

So recently I have had the flu and I had to take antibiotics along with less than par hygiene due to being REALLY sick, and today I took a shower and finally shaved down there, and noticed my vagina was really red and puffy along with an itch (that i thought was from not shaving, but it ISNT) and a thick, cottage cheese like discharge. I am 80% its a yeast infection. I am not sexually active either, so a yeast infection makes the most sense. Here's the problem though! I've never had a yeast infection before and I know you should go to the doctor if it's your first time to double check, and I was going to BUT my period starts in 1 day! Can I still visit the gyno/doctor if i'm on my period to check? or does the blood **** with everything. I'm really not sure how to go about A) dealing with the yeast infection and B) how to go about checking with a doctor. Any help is appreciated! Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Hi

From your description very likely you may have vaginal candidiasis.

Vaginal candidiasis is very common and as the name suggests it is caused by fungal Candidia Albicans (80-92%). It is generally not considered a sexual transmitted infection.

There are several predisposing factors to vaginal candidiasis which includes diabetes, use of long term oral antibiotics,steroids and oral contraceptives.

In your case I strongly suggest to get it properly checked and treated as description of vaginal discharge should not be the key to diagnosis of this condition as other conditions such as bacterial vaginosis and trichomoniasis may also mimic similar symptoms and these conditions will require different treatment.

In sexually active females, a swab will be taken to confirm diagnosis and even to rule out other sexually transmitted infections likely chlamydia/gonnorrhea/ and mycoplasma genitalium which can lead to serious complications if untreated.

If vaginal yeast infection is confirmed,anti fungal treatment in forms of pessaries ( tablet inserted into the vagina) or oral medications, depending on which type of anti-fungal, duration of treatment may vary. You can try a course of oral antifungal first since you will be having your period soon. if no improvement, you may need to visit the doctor again and re-evaluation.

Dr Elaine Loh

Dr Tan and Partners

A yeast infection can occur at any area of the body, on both sexes. Women between the age 16 to 35 are more likely to develop yeast infection. But it can also occur on a 10 year-old girl as well. Yeast vaginal infection is not always caused by the performance of sexual intercourses.

The most typical symptom of yeast infection is pain/itchy at vulva area, which is extremely noticeable while urinating. Some women may develop a yeast infection in the end of the periods which requires no treatment at all. This is a sign of hormone and pH change, and often disappears after menses. Pregnant women are at a higher risk of yeast infection.

OTC( Over The Counter) medicines for yeast infection often contains the following four ingredients:

- butoconazole

- clotrimazole

- miconazole

- vagistat

(FDA has announced that butoconazole and vagistat to be prescription drugs since 1996.)

They treat fungus in the same way - to break the cell membrane of Candida albicans, till the cell is resolved. Although they work effective in treating the infection, the recurrence rate is rather high. As much as a half patients have a recurrence with 4 weeks after treatment. What's more there're many side-effects with these drugs including headache, vaginal burning, bacterial infections, etc.

According to the surveys, TCM have a good effect on treating this disease. and among them, Fuyan Pill can treat recurrent yeast infection in three months. After the treatment, no case has reported a recurrence.

2

Source(s): Cure Yeast Infection Naturally : http://YeastCure.trustdd.com/?QARR

Holistic Yeast Infection Cure Secrets - http://Trust.YeastCured.com

You can still go of your on your period. It wont mess with anything.tho idont like going when its that time of the month... I would get monistat 7 an use the cream thye give u to stop itching while ur on ur pd an when u get off it use the monistat. Works almost every timen an when u do use the monistat (if u do) ut will burn on the inside n its just the medicine working an killing the infection. Use a pantie liner cause if u dont ull have a gross discharge all over ur undies when u wake up in the morning

Source(s): Personal experience

Eliminate Yeast Infection Fast : http://YeastCured.uzaev.com/?RwKg