Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!?

District of Columbia v. Heller.

In at least two well-written paragraphs, explain why the case is important to understanding the changing nature of American federalism.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

While I won't write the paper for you, and I hope it isn't too late, I'll just toss some ideas out there.

Federalism, in a nutshell, is the relationship between the Federal Government and smaller, individual governments (In the U.S., these would be State's Governments).

D.C. vs. Heller was a decision made by the Federal Government (more specifically the Supreme Court) which mandated that all states respect the 2nd Amendment as an /individual/ right. This means that the decision to ban firearms is no longer up to a state or a city. It is one example of the Federal Government's power to enforce nationwide laws on states, even if they do not agree with the law.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.