Anyone know the origin/ethnicity of the last name Gosa?

The family last name on my maternal side is Gosa. I'm not that close to my family so i don't really know anyone in my family old enough to really know the origins of the name. My guess is that it's Spanish because it's pretty similar to Sosa and my maternal family are all very light-skinned for the most part but have features that resemble that of Asian, Spanish, and African. However i do not know anyone of Spanish origin with this last name and i haven't found anything really concrete on the internet.

Can anyone help? Does anyone have this same last name? Anyone who is very knowledgeable of languages/cultures/race/ethnicity etc. would be really helpful.

P.S. I've already looked into sites like ancestry.com Didn't get much from it.

Best Answer

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?cou...

(free) has

7,209 results for Name: Gosa

Here are the top 5 BMD collections:

Hungary Catholic Church Records, 1636-1895 444 results

United States Social Security Death Index 362 results

Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 192 results

Hungary Reformed Church Christenings, 1624-1895 129 results

Spain, Baptisms, 1502-1940 117 results

So, it is at least Spanish and Hungarian; maybe more.

• Love2helpu6 years agoReport

Thank you so much! I never even considered it was Hungarian! Totally makes sense! Finally some answers!!!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

The family last name on my maternal side is Gosa. I'm not that close to my family so i don't really know anyone in my family old enough to really know the origins of the name. My guess is that it's Spanish because it's pretty similar to Sosa and my maternal family are all very...

Source(s): origin ethnicity gosa: https://shortly.im/INzyY
  • Maxi

ALL surnames are words, ALL words come from languages NOT countries and never tell you where people are from, at best the language heard, spoken or influenced the first ancestor to take that word as a name very possibly 1000 years ago, so asking family they were not around so they will assume and assuming is not anything but guess work...and 'looking up' surname origins from surname websites, they are scam businesses that sell their tacky surname products to people who assume you can tell the country origin of ancestry, when the ONLY way is to research and prove , so not by looks only research and even then you may never know

no