Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 6 years ago

Do Mormons believe there are other gods besides Heavenly Father?

First off, let me state that I am a member of the LDS Church; I was baptized last year. Recently, I came across websites that state that Mormons believe there are other gods that created other worlds. Is this true? What is the official stance of the LDS Church? If this is true, what part of the Bible is used to justify the claim? Thank you for your answers and God Bless.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The founder Jsmith and the leaders of the LDS church taught and believed it.

“I wish to declare I have always an in all congregations when I have preached on the subject of Deity, it has been the plurality of Gods.”

- Prophet Joseph Smith, Jr., History of the Church, v. 6, p. 306

“In the beginning, the head of the Gods called a council of the Gods; and they came together and concocted a plan to create the world and people it.”

- Prophet Joseph Smith, Jr., History of the Church, v. 6, pp. 307, 308

“If we should take a million of worlds like this and number their particles, we should find that there are more Gods than there are particles of matter in those worlds.”

- Apostle Orson Pratt, Journal of Discourses, v. 2, p. 345, February 18, 1855

GOD of the Bible tells us differently: Isaiah 44:8 8Do not tremble and do not be afraid; Have I not long since announced it to you and declared it? And you are My witnesses. Is there any God besides Me, Or is there any other Rock? I know of none.'"

God said he knows of NO OTHER, God. Who do you believe? God or Jsmith?

• rac
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

What I will add to this discussion is that the Law of Eternal Progression requires that we become more than what we are, that we become like our Eternal Father. Likewise God progressed from some other form than what He now is. He was once mortal like us and we can become immortal and glorious as He is. We are not unique in the universe. This plan is larger than we are and has been followed from the eternities to the eternities. Thus, the pattern of worlds and heavens began before us and will continue after us. There are many glorified beings but we are only concerned with and beholden to one God and one Savior, Christ. So the scriptures are correct that our God is one even though we can be joint heirs with Christ in all of the Father's Kingdom and be like Him.

This is a glorious promise and is completely scriptural, but not all contained in the Bible. We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does not reveal and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important truths pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

Source(s): my LDS opinion
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

There's no doubt that LDS theology recognizes other gods, but would say, "to us there is but one God." I'm co opting a Paul quote.

The problem with this theological position is it works against Isaiah 43. God says there are no gods that are going to created after him, nor did any gods come before him. Sorry, God isn't going to leave the family business of godhood to you because you got the right LDS rituals and kept the right laws. Just aint happening folks. No gods formed after. The job of God is taken.

I realize the LDS church is backing away publically from the whole godhood thing, but it can't without renouncing it. It was taught, believed, and in fact is core to LDS theology. So please don't patronize me by pretending otherwise. But good news, even the most vile acts and doctrines can be redeemed by owning up to past crap and clearly declaring the new thing. But please influence your leaders to stop the silly pretending that you have been speculating about this. Lies. Embarassing lies. Time to own up so you can move on.

• 6 years ago

The LDS Church teaches that in addition to a "Father in Heaven" that there is a "Mother in Heaven". Though we don't learn a lot about our Mother in Heaven.

In the hymn "O My Father", it says that God is not single in Heaven

"In the heav'ns are parents single?

No, the thought makes reason stare!"

"Oh My Father"

https://www.lds.org/music/library/hymns/o-my-fathe...

According to LDS beliefs, the hymnbook is another book of scripture.

There is also a Mormon believe that says “As man now is, God once was; as God is now man may be.”

https://www.lds.org/churchhistory/presidents/contr...

Gordon B. Hinkley was interviewed by Dan Rather and was asked about this quote and President Hinkley said that we didn't even know what this means. though there are people who believe that being literal children of God means that we can grow up to be like him.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

What people believe in is not as important as what they do.

People normally use money for trade, to get what they want. But when acquring money becomes the goal, then money is the true god they worship, as it is a very practical god. It gets people to cooperate.

The Church of Latter Day Saints is a very rich church.

Jesus threw the moneychangers out of the Temple, and a short while later some "priests" approached Pontius Pilate seeking to have Jesus exterminated. They claimed Jesus was a threat to the Roman Empire. Many Hebrews of that time hated the Roman Empire so it was a easy claim to make.

Follow the money and you will find corruption.

As for the belief in other supernatural gods, blah. It's a stupid fantasy, and it competes with superhero comic books, novels, and movies.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Mormon theology makes such a belief possible, but the belief isn't discussed.

So it's possible, but personally I don't think that we'll have an easy time figuring out the mysteries of God, nor are we told to.

So are there other Gods - we'll all find out one day, but not today, today only one is important to us and that one and only God is the only one who can ever be the author and finisher of my salvation - so what else matters?

• 6 years ago

Members of the LDS church worship God the eternal Father in the name (or authority of) Jesus Christ.

Mormons have a different view of the eternities than mainstream Christianity. The LDS church teaches that earth life is patterned after the eternities and that families are the order of heaven. Earth life is designed by God to help his children gain his joy and attributes. Mormons believe in eternal progression which means that we continue to learn and grow after death. Otherwise, we are damned. If we continue to grow, what kind of people will we be in a thousand years. How about a trillion years. Why would our desire for and ability to gain knowledge cease after death.

The LDS church is not a bible church and does not limit it's teachings to what is in the bible. The phrase, "it is not biblical" means little to Mormons. Partly because you can back up just about any doctrine you want using the bible and Mormons do not believe that the bible is the one and only complete handbook on Christianity. If it was, there would not be so much confusion among the churches. God is not the author of confusion.

There are many teachings and practices in the LDS church that cannot be exhaustively supported by the bible, though those who understand Mormonism do not see any conflict between LDS teachings and the intent of what is referenced in the books of the bible, and most teachings of the church are at least hinted at in the bible. It is as if we see eye to eye with bible authors.

For example, a religion probably would not create a doctrine called baptism for the dead from bible teachings. There is not enough information in the bible to persuade some one to do so. However, There is a phrase called baptism for the dead in the bible as well as other supporting teachings such as the last verse of the old testament that states that the hearts of the children must turn to the Fathers and the Fathers to the children.

If you are beginning to question your faith, consider that doubt, fear and confusion are of Satan, whereas certainty, faith and order are of God. We must have the courage to look past the doubt and seek the light that teaches us what is good and right and true. Here is where revelation and certainty reside.

• 6 years ago

St. Paul certainly did. He wrote that there are many gods and many lords (never ind the things incorrectly called such), but for us there is only one God, the Father, and only one Lord, Jesus Christ.

"I have said, ye are gods--and all of you are children of the most High," wrote the Psalmist.

So yes, we believe that there are other gods, but they're not objects of worship for us. The caveat here is that we do not believe that those gods created planets in this universe. We believe that God is responsible for the entire universe. This is good Christian doctrine.

• 6 years ago

First, let's define god... A god is "any supernatural being worshipped as controlling some part of the world or some aspect of life or who is the personification of a force" ( http://freedictionary.org/?Query=god&button=Search ). Mormons do believe in other exalted beings who create other worlds, however, we believe in one God(only one "being worshipped as controlling... the world"), that is Heavenly Father.

The other exalted beings are not gods, because we do not worship them.

Here's an article about how we can become exalted beings: https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapt...

Source(s): Mormon
    • ...Show all comments
    • Lv 7
      6 years agoReport

. . . by necessity would also have to be exalted. Paul mentions us being "joint heirs with Christ in many places as well. So the bible makes it very clear, man may be exalted through the grace of Christ. If He didn't make us like Himself in terms of attributes what would He make us into?

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

they believe that god the father is human , so there has to be other male humans out there in the universe. they also believe that women can become a goddess , they also teach that jesus had a human father , and the holy spirit can only become from a man

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.