Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 7 years ago

I have extremely mild essential tremors. Can I join the Marines?

I have always wanted to be a marine. I am in college right now and I want something different. I am a very athletic type of person and I want to be a part of a team and become something I am proud of.

The problem is that I have a very mild case of essential tremors. I deeply regret ever going to the doctor over it. Doctor prescribed me medicine for it around 6 months ago but after a month or two (since the symptoms were very mild in the first place) I quit taking them. It does not affect me in my everyday life at all.

I have been told to lie to MEPS and pretend like I don't have it. I have been told they will never find out.

I have also been told to tell the truth and see what happens.

Can someone help me? I want honest answers.

Favorite Answer

Tell the truth and it's no big deal. Lie and it will be hanging over your head every day.

If you are caught after you swear in they WILL go over everything they can find about your medical history and they WILL find that pre-existing condition. At that point you will be facing a charge of Fraudulent Enlistment, a Federal felony.

You will, at the least, get a General Discharge with loss of all benefits and possibly having to repay every penny spent on you. If they choose to make an example of you it could mean two years in Federal prison, a $10,000 fine, and a Dishonorable Discharge.

Since your condition would be pre-existing, no disability and no VA health care.

Now, do you think for one second that, if you lie and are caught, that @Jordan will be right at your side telling the military is was he who told you to lie? Even if a Recruiter tells you to lie when you are caught he/she will deny ever having told you to lie and NOTHING will happen to him/her.

Read what @Alex said and what I have said and make a responsible choice. I did not knowingly serve with anyone I knew to be a liar because they could not be trusted for anything.

Good luck.

Source(s): 100% Disabled Vietnam Veteran - Navy Airborne Electronic Warfare Officer

When you go to enlist, be honest and don't withhold any information. You're not doing yourself any favors by lying or withholding any medical background information, and more importantly, you'll need to be honest and straightforward for your fellow marines.

You have been informed correctly, don't tell them. Besides, if they find out after you joined, you can say it is a new condition and you can get paid disability

Source(s): I'm in the military

Ask your recruiter. You've posted this nonsense several times, and your post has been reported.