Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 6 years ago

I just got over food poisoning, and now my mom has the flu, can I still get the flu?

I ate something that gave me food poisoning and I just got over it, but my mom now has the stomach flu. My question is that, will I get the same thing she's got, or has my body built up enough immunity to fight it off?

Favorite Answer

There's no stomach flu. Flu is a respiratory infection and you're confusing flu with gastroenteritis. If you had food poisoning, which is bacterial gastroenteritis, this won't protect you against viral gastroenteritis. Different causes. Is it possible that your mother ate the same thing you did?

Source(s): I'm a nurse.
  • rissa

Yes you can because the stomach flu is a virus and food poisoning is bacteria. Are you sure what you had was food poisoning? Maybe it was actually the stomach flu and your mom caught it from you.