My Alternate Ending to Les Miserables?

I have been thinking a lot about this. What if in the story Javert and Jean Valjean came to an understanding and Javert came to realize that Jean Valjean is a good man. And the two become friends.

Instead if committing suicide Javert lives and when Valjean is sick he promises to watch over Cosset and Marius and he attends their wedding.

I think this would be a neat alternate ending, what are your thoughts?

Favorite Answer

Believe it or not......a French author attempted to write a sequel to Les Miserables.......and took several liberties with the known , existing characters, (and of course, created a few new ones. )

The most alarming twist to his book.....is that Javert, did *NOT* die.

In his version of events..........Javert does indeed *attempt* suicide and flings himself into the river........

but, his half dead corpse is found floating and pulled out of the river, by none other than...............yes, you guessed it.........a priest.....who manages to bring him back to life, and nurse him back to health-.

This near Death experience, and the kindness of the priest.........indeed, reverses Javert's entire attitude.

He changes his name to Verjat.....(an anagram of Javert)....and allows people to think Javert is dead.

He lives a NEW life, as a new man............Verjat........and as his pennance for hounding and harrassing Valjean........he vows to look after Cosette, from the shadows.......helping her, at first anonymously, and then they actually become friends.

No, I kid you not.

The estate of Victor Hugo was *INCENSED*....to say the least, and SUED to stop publication of the book.

It was indeed tied up in the courts for awhile, but the author, Francois Ceresa, prevailed, and he was allowed to release his book.

Alas, for all that trouble..........he did a really stupid thing. In an attempt to copy the ORIGINAL style of the 5 seperate books of Les Miserables, he decided to break his story into TWO books.......

called, "Cosette--Or the Time of Illusions"......and "Maruis--Or the Fugitive".

the first book, you realize, with 20 pages to go, he cannot POSSIBLY wrap up the story in just the 20 pages remaining. And in fact......the story literally ends........practically mid sentence in the middle of the plot.

It left alot of people scratching their heads.........as it made no sense to have no end to the story, and his plan to release the SECOND part...........a year later...........met with BLAZING scorn, and hatred.......

and critics tore the first book apart.......since essentially.......there was no finish to the story!!!!

Others had no clue of his "great plan" to release the SECOND half, later......and were simply left hanging.

The OTHER problem, was that he wrote them in FRENCH, of course. So after the first book was translated and sold like that..............needless to say, there was a great outlash.......and to this day, I do not know if anyone bothered to TRANSLATE the second book.....having been BURNED by angry customers after the first.

But you can buy both in French.......I am still searching for the second half in English.

ANDDDDD, the OTHER problem..........is that he took WILD AZZ liberties, with the Cosette and Marius in the story...........essentially turning them into total idiots, not a month after being married.......with no explanation as to why they both would have changed so drastically, in so short a time.

In any case........in that story........Javert, in fact LIVES, and plays a major role.........as Verjat.

Now then........if you want to read a GOOD sequel........Laura Kapalkian *also* wrote a sequel, that was for more worthy and in keeping with the first book............and it takes Cosette and Marius into old age, with children and grandchildren......and tells you how the rest of their lives played out.

An American author......so, it was in English, and all these books can be easily found on E-Bay, for just a few dollars.

For the record......I loved the idea of an alternate ending, and think Ceresa had the right *idea*.......but, yeah, he kinda made a hash of it.

Still, I would love to read the second half, if I ever find the English translation.

Source(s): Oh, just wanted to add.........in the Ceresa book, Thenardier is also back.......this time, under several confusing aliases.........but eventually, you figure out it's Thenardier, .....eventually called just "The Cat man" in the Ceresa book. But there's solid references, to imply it's actually Thenardier....after apparently having lost his inn.....he's up to new scams.
  • Cogito

I'd advise you to stop thinking about this and accept that Hugo knew what he was doing. He got it right.

Completely destroys Javert's character. Realizing that Valjean was a good man all along is what drives him to commit suicide. Your ending sounds like wish fulfillment to me.

Is Javert your favorite character by any chance?

• josh6 years agoReport

No I just think it would be a fun ending that is all.