How to protect my computer from viruses when downloading games?

I got new pc and i have some questions. Im using avira antivirus and im downloading games from pirate bay or kickass. Every time i download something i scan it with avira and it says that there are no viruses but it seems i already have some in computer. Help please :D

Favorite Answer

You need to have a resident AV program installed and running at all times. Scanning things you download is also a good thing to do.

Top free AV products

BitDefender Free, ZoneAlarm Free, Adaware Free, Commodo Free, Avast, Avira, AVG

Best Paid:

My recent survey of several independent testing labs shows Kaspersky, eSET, and BitDefender as the top paid AV products.

How to remove a virus -

I) The best solution is to back up your data and perform a factory restore. Install a reputable AV program after the restore and download the latest updates before restoring your data.

II) That not being practical for many, try either of the next two methods:

(Please note that it is important to use one of these two methods as you need to boot and scan knowing that no viruses are already in memory. If you try and install an AV product on a machine already infected then there is a decent chance that the virus will be able to hide/relocate from the scanner.)

A)

1) On a clean computer, download 1 or more free bootable AV products. Five I know of are Avira, AVG, Avast, Kaspersky, and G Data. Often referred to as a Rescue Disc.

(There is a handy product called sardu (www.sarducd.it) which will create a flash drive/Cd capable of having multiple AV products built into it. It isn't perfect yet, but it does do the job pretty well. I keep a copy on a flash drive for whenever I go to someone's house to help with computer problems and I have a number of other diagnostic tools included as well.)

2) Create the bootable media and include the latest virus definitions

3) Boot the infected/suspect computer by using the bootable media and run a full/complete/deep scan of the computer using preferably at least two different ones. No AV product gets them all, but 2 different products should find and remove just about anything.

B) Alternative method:

1) remove the hard drive from the infected computer

2) slave the drive to a clean computer which already has at least one AV product already installed with the most current definitions. You can do this by installing it into the case (for a desktop) or by putting the drive in an external drive case which you can get for the low teens $. These can be USB (get at least USB 2.0) or eSata - if the 2nd computer has an eSata connection.

3) From the clean machine, run a full/complete scan of the slaved hdd. The computer should already be booted when you connect the external drive, with the AV product already in residential memory (it will have an icon down next to the clock). Then open the AV and run it on the drive. In an ideal world, you should really use two different AV products.

III) If you are unable to do the above, then download and install an AV product and then run it at its deepest level scan. This is not the ideal method as many viruses can hide from AV products if they are already in memory and running before the AV software is executed. There are numerous free ones. I strongly recommend two different AV products and one Adware/Spyware product. For free AV, I would typically recommend Avira, AVG, or Avast as the installed resident (always running) AV solution and Malwarebytes as a secondary, on demand AV product which I run on a weekly basis. For Spyware and Adware, the two top performers there are AdAware (Lavasoft.com) and Spybot Search and Destroy (safer-networking.org) Both offer a free and paid version. The free version is good, the paid version offers more bells and whistles, just like with the AV products.

Once the virus(es) is/are removed, change any and all passwords having to do with anything important like e-mail, financial-banking logins, etc. as those have probably been captured and sent to the author of the virus.

Please note:

Microsoft Security Essentials is NOT a good AV program, providing some of the lowest detection and removal rates in the industry.

Prior to Windows 8, Microsoft Defender was NOT an AV program. Long ago it was a good anti-spy program written by Sunbelt. During the intervening years since Microsoft's purchase it has lagged far behind other anti-spy/anti-adware programs significantly. In order to add to the confusion and frustration of users around the world, Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, decided to rename the updated Microsoft Security Essentials in Windows 8 as Windows Defender – probably because the reputation of MSSE was so bad.

2

Source(s): Antivirus That Works 100% : http://moveantivirus.com/?KnIm

So..

This is the link where I've downloaded Avira for free http://bitly.com/1p33RVF

I heard many different opinions about the best anti-virus available on the market. I always used Avira antivirus and works very perfectly!

The last version realised have a lot of new function and give a full protection of the computer!

It works very well.

Bye Bye

• Nahum

You can completely avoid viruses by not downloading torrents.

The reason the games are available via torrent is to bait you into installing malware. Hackers love greedy fools.

Would you rather pay up to $60, or give away all of your financial info, account logins and computing resources?

• Big G

Learn a lesson Jack Sparrow.

Follow Nahun's advice, otherwise you'll end up with an expensive

paperweight

If you suspect that you have something on your computer, try scanning for rootkits that take control of the operating system using either Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit, Kaspersky TDSS Killer or Trend Micro Rootkitbuster.

Purchase and use one good AV from most valid security company :

Trend Micro

Norton Symantec

Webroot

or

McAfee

Regards ,