GRG

Is it ok to stay with your baby when you have common cold?

My boy is 6 weeks old, i am scared he will get cold from me. What do i do? There is no one to take care of him except me.

He is on formula milk btw.

Favorite Answer

He has to get immunity from somewhere, usually by meeting people, and getting a small shot of infection from them. You are the absolutely least problematical source, the one least likely to give him anything serious. So just make sure you blow your nose away from him, wash your hands before making his food or washng his face and hands - normal precautions. You won't eliminate the infection, but keeping it minor is actually doing him a favour.

Source(s): I am a parent of three.
  • Pippin

What would be your other option? Leave baby alone until you are better?

Of course you continue to care for your baby unless you are so ill that you are unable to do so. (Or you have a life-threatening illness that requires immediate quarantine.) You were contagous long before you had any cold symptoms, so leaving him with a stranger will distress him greatly, but not keep him from getting sick.

If you had been able to breastfeed, then your milk would have offered protection against illness. Since you were not able to do so -- wash your hands often, and keep taking care of your baby.

EDIT: All colds are infectious. And again, there is NO reason to give your baby to a stranger to watch for a week every time you have a cold.

Ask your doctor if the cold is infectious or not. not, it doesn't matter.yes, you need to ask or hire someone to take care of him