Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 6 years ago

Solution for critically low amount of C disk space?

I have deleted several programs and emptied the recycle bin of more than 40000 files. A screen just popped up saying I only 69MB, and I need at least 200.Why did emptying the bin not solve this problem?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

First, programs take up relatively little disk space. So uninstalling them saves nothing. Second deleting files only removes the total soze of all those deleted, they then sty in the bin till you empty it. But you need to remove a LOT of big files to regain space. Also if the disk is short of space it can not create a big enough area for virtual memory. So as soon as you delete files the virtual memory will expand as much as it can. Thee are a lot of system files, including recovery and update files that take space, you could remove some of those, but that needs a great deal of care. you real problem is your disk is not big enough and your did not tell us how big it is. You need at least 250 GB for a Windows system drive. Even that appers to be getting too small now, I regularly see them fill to critical level. So I refuse to install Windows onto less than 500 GB for any customer now. Your best option is to download a dis cloning program and burn it to CD. Then get a bigger disk and clone the old one to the new one as a disk to disk clone.

• Lv 5
      6 years agoReport

TY, Fred.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

Some malware sets your machine up to store illicit files, so that could be one thing. Do a full scan of your machine for malware.

How much disk space did you have before you deleted the files and emptied the trash? Also, we don't know how large your hard drive is and what else you could remove. You could burn a bunch to a CD or a DVD since your are saying you need 200 megs, or a flash drive. You can get one of those which holds 4 gigs for maybe $4.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

One of these should work for you

1. Restart your computer, if that fixes it then all sorted.

2. Were those 40,000 files big? or small files?

3. Try in-installing some programs that you no longer use.

4. If you have the funds, Buy a USB and copy some stuff to that to free up some space.

5. If it's a Desktop and you have funds, buy a second HDD.

Hope this helps

Source(s): I.T Technician
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Hey, download CCleaner. Try using other partitions if you have any. Elliott's no. 5 is a better option. And also, try removing things you really don't need.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

oh, you can add more space to you C disk from other disk(D E or F disk) by using software,otherwise you can uninstall some software that you install at your c disk, and then you can install again at your other disk.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.