What should I major in?

I know this isn't the right section for this, but we all know that the other sections yield few answers, so I wanted more answers.

I'm interested in teaching history but I know that there is little chance of actually becoming a history teacher because they aren't in high demand. I even looked in the two states I would want to live in(Utah and Idaho) and there was only one history teacher position open in both. Anyways, someone recommended that I double major in Business management and History Education, that way I have a back-up. I'm thinking I might do math education and history education. Math teachers were in higher demand from what I saw in those two states.

So here are my options:

1) Double Major in History Education and Math Education

Pros:

Some of the courses required for both are the same so it won't be too hard to do.

I'll have a back-up and I like both subjects of history and math.

Cons:

Teaching in general is still hard to get into.

Teaching pays about only average income

2) Double Major in History Edu and Business mgmnt.

Pros: I would have a very good back-up if teaching doesn't work out.

Business management jobs pay well

Cons:

I may hate business management. I don't know whether I would enjoy it.

It would require a lot more work to do since business mgmnt and History edu are unrelated

3) Single Major in any of the three

Pros:

I could be doing something I enjoy if it's teaching

Cons:

no back-up plan

Mormon answerers appreciated since...

...I will be going to BYUI and they would know which majors are reputable there

David VR: that's part of the reason I'm going to BYU-I. It's less than $2,000 a semester for tuition, which is much, much less than other universities of equal quality.

• rac
    Favorite Answer

BYU has a very strong education college and business college. They are strong in engineering but I don't know about math. A teaching degree from BYU will go far. You might want to consider moving beyond the LDS strongholds. California is always looking for good teachers and they pay well. However, you would have to put up with California politics, the reason I am more than eager to get out of California.

Bottom line, it is your decision to make. You have to ponder and pray about your options and listen for the spirit to give you a nudge in one way or the other. I started my undergraduate work as a Poli. Sci. major. After one semester, I changed to Comparative Lit. After two years, I switched to Zoology/Entomology and that is what I graduated as. I then spent three years doing insect repellant research in the Army and took a Master's Degree in Environmental Planning. That got me a job as an Environmental Protection Specialist until I enrolled in law school and returned to my original plan. I still rejected politics but helping people with legal issues was very desireable.

So what am I doing now? I work as a planner for a state agency using my MA. I do some law work on the side.

My point is that we somtimes need to be flexible because we certainly cannot see the future as well as we would like to see it.

Best wishes in your academic endeavors.

Source(s): my experienced opinion

Do what you love otherwise you'll burn out at some point in time.

About higher education being a debt scam, that's only if you go into massive debt over it. I did what a Harvard student just claimed to be impossible, I worked my way through school and graduated debt free - don't burden your future, do what you love and find a job you love.

My job is in a sector that I didn't think I could do until 50 years old with a lot of money in my pocket, I invent things for myself and others, and normally when you hear that it's like hearing a guy admit that he has no job, yet I do very well with money. It was a ton of work but I love what I do so it wasn't hard to stay motivated through the years that it took to build my career.

When you're young you can take those risks and do those things, so get on it and take advantage of your youth, because as time goes on with a wife and kids and after you're used to spending more money it's almost impossible to go back and start over and not spend any money.

So just make sure that you're aim is right!

• I am a person who likes to work with my hands, and I'm pretty practically minded. I also love the earth and want to see its resources protected and managed wisely.

I studied criminal justice, received a degree, and from there, decided to get a degree in paralegal because the law interested me. I totally don't dig this now--maybe I've become extremely cynical, but it all seems to be about money, not justice and protection of human rights. Spending some time in the mining industry, working out in the mountains changed my mind about all what I am passionate about. I have also done some time in construction, cabinetry and house building and love this--everyone needs a home. I am crazy about how this all comes together for them.

I have no idea what interests you, but if I myself had it all to do over again, I would most certainly explore fields in environmental sciences---these fields of study are many, but it all ties into respect and protection of the earth and making a habitat for the people that live on it. The very very basic needs for us humans.

• Tiger

If you want a job you educate in what is most likely to get one. When you first have a job you can start looking for, and apply for a history teaching job.

MIMI

Major in secondary education and get endorsements to teach as many subjects as you can, that way you can get your foot in the door and move to the department you want

You have to realize that college education in the US is pretty much a debt scam.

If you're going to get in large debt, it better damn well be for something that's worth it.

For dinner today i had sardines on toast!

major in pleasing your God or you will die soon.