DaJour asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

Is there any risk to my Fawn Bluenose female if she has Italian Cane Corso puppies due to the size of the cane corsos?

NO NEGATIVE COMMENTS, DON'T CALL ME A BYB OR SAY GET YOUR DOG SPAYED OR NEUTERED. Just looking for answers not opinions.

Favorite Answer

Ok I assume this is a female Pitt Bull Terrier. That the sire is larger would cause a bit of concern. I would consult with a vet who is very experienced with reproduction. That vet might want to just schedule a c section. Lorraine is correct on the small litter. Breeders always prefer large number litters to large sized puppies. And yeah, people should mind their own business. The dog is bred. Now just look after her correctly and be sure to find responsible homes. With a high number of home invasions, people are looking for larger stronger dogs. Dogs are the #1 deterrent to Home break-ins. I'd like to see you focus on purebreds, though.

EDIT wow there is a lot of false information. Amos, my vet charges $250 for a non emergency c section. All of my moms successfully nurse and I have never had maternal rejection following a c section. There are things to do to prevent rejection, such as scenting the puppies with a bit of placenta. Bluebonnet...you have to be kidding. I have never heard of such nonsense and my father was a professional handler and breeder, and I have been breeding dogs all of my adult life. I don't know whether to laugh or cry over your post of doom and gloom.

And everyone who is so opposed to breeding so people can have pets? Really? do some research and you will find that that all these shelters and SPCAs are real big cash cows and they depend on people contributing and SELLING shelter pets. Run their financials and you will see that they make as much money as any "big" corporation. So please to tell how you justify THIS??????? And PETA has been known to put entire litters down, and to pick up surrendered cats for adoption and then euthanize them before the van ever made it back to the shelter. So let's all do some honest research before criticizing someone else.

Source(s): Doberman breeder
  • KenAn

Dobiegal: So it's okay that 11,000 dogs are killed every day just because some shelters aren't broke? People should have pets, but why don't people make sure all of their puppies have GOOD homes before they are bred instead of breeding and breeding and breeding and selling to anyone that will give them money.

PETA is against anyone owning animals, so they rather the animals die than be owned, that is an entirely different topic.

• BJ

I will not judge as I don't know all the particulars. I will not tell you to have your dog spayed as that is strictly up to you. I will not call you a back yard breeder as I do not know the circumstances. What I will tell you is that the difference in size (the male being a lot larger) puts her at high risk for the possibility of not making it through the pregnancy and at a high risk for needing a C-section which could cost you up to $2,000 or more. The possibility of having complications is extremely high - and expensive.

If all goes well then you will have quite the job helping to care for these puppies until they are old enough to go to good homes (if you can find them) and it will be a costly experience. If you feel that you are up to the challenge then go for it. I would, however, suggest that you think this through before it is too late.

Your vet would be the best person to ask, IMO. Has she even been examined to be sure that are no structural issues or inverted nipples etc.?

If the Cane Corso is substantially larger, than she is - then the puppies will likely be too LARGE to pass thru the birth canal. She will probably need a C-Section & the surgery costs UPWARDS of $2,000.00 to 2,500.00. That is a LOT of money!!! (And you may not recover it thru puppy sales since there are many other costs & there may be some puppy LOSS/death.)

If she HAS a C-section, she may NOT be able to nurse the puppies due to having been opened UP &/or may NOT have natural mothering instinct, if she just wakes up & has puppies. I've seen a number of dogs who had a C-section, REJECT the litter, as there was no natural hormonal connection TO the litter, as she has no memory/knowledge of having birthed them, if the vet surgically delivers them. (The rejection doesn't necessarily improve or get fixed, over time.) That means, you will have to force-feed (aka tube-feed) in the beginning, before they are strong enough, to nurse from a bottle. (Not everyone can manage putting a tube down the esophagus INTO the puppy's stomach.)

You will have to be able to feed them & stimulate them MANUALLY to potty (around the clock) for the first 3 weeks. Puppy mortality under this situation, is very HIGH. Therefore, I do NOT recommend breeding her to a larger breed of dog, for ALL of these reasons. If you want a litter, find one of her own breed, to use.

Source(s): 30 YEARS in dogs

Although I am not into breeding, I know that if a female is mated with a larger dog that the female will have problems giving birth.

Hopefully you have large cash reserves to enable you to pay for a C section.

If not and you live in the UK you can get help to get the puppies aborted.

If you live in the UK and you unemployed or on any benefits you can get free treatment for your dog. All you need is proof of your benefits. Even if it’s just reduced council tax you can apply to the PDSA or Dogs Trust for their help. I think that Blue Cross might also help.

There are vets in other parts of the world who will agree to spread the payments, consequently you should telephone them and ask before you arrange an appointment. There is also an organization called Credit Care, Google Creditcare for dogs however this may not be available in the UK.

There is a risk with every single pregnancy, and yes, this risk is significantly heightened if the sire is bigger than the dam. If the puppies are too big, she could end up needing a caesarian. It could even kill her. Again, this is a worry that should be prepared for with every litter than is ever bred, but it's much more risky with a larger sire.

It's not worth the risk to the dam.

Bear in mind that a scheduled c-section ahead of time is still just as stressful for the dam. Only go through with this pregnancy if it is absolutley too late.

No negative comments !

You deliberately try to breed a stronger bigger pit type and expect not to get negative comments.

Yes there is a risk.. and especially if she has a small litter and therefore bigger pups.

• Ammy

Pit bulls are typically 50lbs, and I think that's actually a bit big for one. Cane Corso's are 100lbs. The male twice as large as a female is dangerous. Unless you have a very large pit or pit mix, what EH Amos described is accurate. If this has already happened you need to get your dog to a vet for their expert care, because this is a dangerous pregnancy for your dog.

Typical BYBer. They even know they are a BYBer since they don't want people calling them one. The dog needs to be spayed. The fetuses will be far too big and kill the dog or it will need a c-section but BYBers never pay for those

BYBers don't encouragement for something so obviously dangerous and since you refuse to spay the dog will die.

Blue Nose Cane Corso