Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

What does a Mediterranean or Southern European look like?

I know these questions are annoying but bear with me. Also I don't mean to offend anyone or get people angry.

My mom is blond with blue eyes and pink skin, my dad has black hair and olive skin (as in he is naturally pale, with obvious yellow undertones, but he can keep a deep tan year round because he works outside.) He has mostly Spanish, Italian, and French ancestry. I have dark almost black hair, hazel eyes and olive skin. I look like a cross between Selena Gomez and Mila Kunis.

I grew up in an area with a large hispanic and black population. In comparison, I always looked and felt very "white" and would be pushed aside to the maybe two or three white kids in my class who had blond or brown hair and varying skin tones. I was always under the impression that white people had a wide range of looks so I never thought much about it.

But now that I'm older and I go to other places where people don't know me, almost everybody, regardless of their race or ethnicity, assumes I'm Hispanic, part Asian, or even part black. Only some people look at me and ask if I'm Italian or from the Mediterranean. I'm never offended by any of these and just explain to people what I am.

So I'm wondering if I sound like I'm Mediterranean looking or not. Someone recently told me it's because Arabs or something ruled somewhere in Southern Europe and that's why I looked mixed to them. I'm confused.

Favorite Answer

You sound like what your ancestors are and southern Europeans can range from pale blondes to olive skinned brunettes. Hispanic is NOT a race so you looking like them is do to both sharing ancestors from Spain. I can't say much about Arabs invading as most southern Europeans don't cluster on genetic maps with them. And I don't know why people assume all Arabs look uniformly a like as there are Arabs that are pale since it is a cultural identity rather than a racial one. You are what many native people of southern Europe looked like an example would be the Mesolithic hunter-gather that was found in Spain that had olive skin and dark hair with light eyes similar to your phenotype. You are not expected to look like northern Europeans since it's really warm there and your ancestors would have needed to have darker skin than northern people to adapt to their environment.

There is no one way for them to look. The people in, say, the far south of Italy, for example, can have quite dark hair and eyes and skin with olive undertones, but they can also be relatively fair in coloring. There are blondes and redheads in Italy.

People in warmer climates are darker in response to climate: hotter sun produces darker coloring. But southern Europeans -- Greeks, Spaniards, and Italians -- DO range all over the map in terms of coloring, like many other white people.

There was indeed a strong Arab presence in southern Italy, but there was also a strong Greek and Spanish presence.

(By the way, it's not that warm in most of Italy. I used to live there and experienced a couple of the coldest winters I've ever known. It doesn't have a tropical climate, though parts of it, largely in the south, can be described as subtropical.)

Like Italians, Greeks, Spaniards, Portuguese or Maltese. Think of anyone whose background is from southern Europe and that is what southern Europeans look like.

In general southern Europeans have darker skin complexions, and darker hair and eyes than northern Europeans. There are people with lighter hair and skin in southern Europe (i.e. blonde and redheads) but the frequency of those features is lower in southern Europe than it is in northern Europe.

Southern Europeans look like people from Southern Europe. They are varied just like any humans in the world.

Southern Europe: Portugal, Spain, Andorra, France, Monaco, Italy, San Marino, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kosovo, Serbia, Montenegro, Albania, FYR of Macedonia, Greece, Malta, Cyprus, Turkey. (I think these are all the countries that lie in the south.)

A lot of countries, right? A lot of people too. And a lot of mixing throughout out thousands of years.

They look like me.

To actually answer your question, Southern Europeans like Italians, Greeks, Spaniards, the Portuguese, etc. can all have varying looks. Compare someone like Roberto Benigini and Penelope Cruz. Both Southern Europeans, but look different.

Source(s): Italian

Geographically, Kiev rests at the center of Europe and is an entirely various world but now you can it greater if you begin from with hotelbye . Kiev is the capital of Ukraine and is the most lovely city of all article soviet countries. It is really a town of whatever you least expect. Kiev is a historical town wherever old meets new and east matches west. One of many points you will see in Kiev is the St. Cyrill's Monastery. That monastery was absolutely off-the-beaten track. That little church is really as previous as time, relationship back again to 12th century. Paintings of the popular Mikhail Vrubel get you right into a various world. And the fact that the Monastery is away from the main tourist websites in Kyiv will make the experience a lot more humbling and inspirational.

there tends to be a lot of darker people living in the Mediterranean compared to rest of Europe because Mediterranean is closer to the equator, hence it is warmer down there.

This is what Italian and Spanish people look like.

http://footage.shutterstock.com/clip-3368558-stock...

Like any ordinary white/Caucasian/European.

• ?

They look like white people. They can be pale or tan dark hair or light hair