Bell1234 asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

6 month old puppy still not trained?

I have a 6 month puppy who is still not trained, before her turning 6 months we had training pads but we realized it's not the method.

So I'm moving on to crate training while I'm in school (7:30-2:40) and night time. The problem is she has separation anxiety :( Whenever I leave her in the crate to leave the house I hear her howling and crying more than 5 minutes

Does anyone know how to make this potty/crate training process go more smoothly? And her to feel more safe?

Favorite Answer

Set up a daily routine for when you feed and water her. At 6 months, she should be able to hold her bladder for UP TO 7 hours after she eats (rule of thumb: age in months + 1; at one year or more, max is about 11 to 12 hours, and when a senior much less than that - maybe 7-8 hours). After she poops/pees, walk her for another 10-15 mins to make sure she's done peeing and got to poop.

Do not have your puppy "graze" by leaving her food out all day for her to nibble on; this will make when she has to go unpredictable. Feed and water her at the same time every day and let her out at the same time every day. After 8pm, if she's thirsty, give her a few ice cubes rather than a bowl of water. This way, she can only sip on water throughout the night and shouldn't wake up to pee. Before bed, allow her to pee to make sure she gets to sleep with an empty bladder and wont be panicked to pee when she finally wakes up the next day.

If you feed her and wait 7 hours and she doesn't go when you let her out, you use the crate the "potty training way" by putting her in it for about 5 mins (stay with her nearby!) and then let her out and go for a walk again, this time for only 10 mins. If she doesn't pee, do this again (put in crate, wait 5 mins, let her put to pee). Figure out when she does pee and change her potty break for that time for now on. Make sure that when you do the "retry", you go straight to where she usually pees and don't do a normal walk around the neighborhood like you would during a normal walk. Pay attention to her "pee spots" and visit all of them during the "retry" potty breaks until she finally pees.

As she pees/poops, make it a habit to use a key word to teach her to potty. For my dog, I use "Go pee pee" and "Go poo poo" when I know he's about to anyway. If we're somewhere unfamiliar, like near a pet store or at the park, I can tell him where to poop/pee on cue. Pay attention to what kind of spots your puppy prefers to pee on. Does she pee on leaf piles, on short plants, by trees, under bushes, etc.? When you see something similar when out, try to lead her to those things and tell her to poop/pee there with your key word and see if it works! :)

For separation anxiety, make sure that the crate isn't a cage. The crate is her home, not her prison. Have it in a place that isn't spooky (like in the laundry room). A good place would be in the living room near the couch, or by your comp desk, or by your bed even. You can put some card board on top of it and treat it like a side table so that it isn't an eye sore. I put a blanket over my dog's crate so that it's warm and private, but on the door side, it's open so he can see me. I always keep the door open all day so he can go into and come out of it as he pleases. I only shut it for when he goes to bed (yeah, he's two years old and sleeps in a crate lol).

Make sure the crate has a bed that's comfortable and a "super special toy" inside, like a Kong with peanut butter inside, that is always only used when in the crate. If your puppy takes it out of the crate, you take it from her and keep in inside the crate, or just take it away unless she's in her crate. This gives the crate value; it's the only place where she gets super yummy peanut better to eat! When she's kept in the crate at night, give her a treat that takes a while to eat, like a DentaStick, Bully stick (get those online because they're expensive at the pet stores. Good online site is petflow.com where a 6inch one is $0.99!!!), jerky treat, etc. so that as she's eating it, you can leave.

If she cries in her crate and it's not to pee, ignore it. DO NOT COME BACK TO YELL AT HER OR LET HER OUT!!!!!! She cries because she wants out, and if you let her out, she'll learn to cry more and more and louder and louder to TRAIN YOU to open the door. If you come back and yell at her, she'll feed off the attention and knows that what she's doing is pissing you off and you'll eventually open the door to make it stop.

Begin training by putting her in the crate with her Kong or treat and leave the room. Be gone for about 10 seconds. Yes, just 10. Count to ten, but she makes a noise, you restart and recount to ten. If you can count to ten with pure silence, come back and let her out. Do this every day twice a day with a few hours between each session. If you can reach ten seconds of silence without issue, stretch it to 20 seconds until you succeed at 20 seconds of silence. Eventually, reach one min. Then two. Then three. Do not become lazy and skip this training. Do not cave in and yell or free her while she's crying. When you come back and she freaks out upon seeing you, turn your back and wait until she's quiet, THEN let her out. If she freaks when you face her, turn away again and wait. When you let her out, DO NOT pet and play and go nuts all over her. Acknowledge her with a treat and praise, but not start playing or being excited yet. Wait a few mins. If she needs to pee, calmly let her out to pee, but don't act too excited. She needs time to calm down after being let out. If you let her out and act excited and happy, she'll feel that the freedom is a huge deal and that being in the crate was punishment. Yeah, dogs are weird...

It'll take weeks, maybe even months, but if you can reach 30 mins of no crying for about a week, and no freaking out when she sees you, you have succeeded in her crate training and can lead to healthy Separation Anxiety training. You do this training the same way as before, but without a crate. Be careful because now, she's able to ruin the couch or rip something up while you're gone. Be sure to have your home puppy proof if it isn't yet.

I've written WAY too much, but hopefully this all helps and makes sense. GOOD LUCK!!

Source(s): Dog Trainer (can you tell?), dog owner, puppy owner, etc etc etc
  • Angel

There are dogs that resist being n the crate, if yo do break down and go to them when they are whining, crying and yelping it will make them do it more the next time and even more the next. I once created a monster feeling sorry for the tiny little orphan puppy,meh had tantrums and would fling himself against the door and scream as loud as his little lungs would get him. I felt like a terrible person.

My sister in law took over the dog, new house, new kennel. She fed him, played with him, took him out to potty, when he fell asleep, she set him carefully in the kennel and covered just the door with a towel. He woke up and had his little fit, 10 minutes later he was back to sleep and quiet. Next day same thing, after he went potty it was back to his kennel for nap time, she said go to sleep, coved the crated, 2 minutes of protest and he was quiet.

Just letting you know that the dogs know us better than we do, don't give in and pet the dog, give him attention or talk to him, just in the cage, (cover optional) and wait until he settles down. When he first wakes up tell him lets go, open the kennel,,carry him straight outside (of leash depending on size) let him potty then praise him. After a while you can put him in the kennel and feed him a few treats to let him know its not a bad place. Using a favorite towel or blanket, a favorite toy will make it ore inviting.

Not all dogs get the potty training down until they are close to a year, sometimes it's a mental thing, usually it's the body is physically immature and he just cannot ma age to hold it. The least little excitement will set a lot of dogs to leak, if anyone came up with a sure cure for that they would be rich.

If you practice at short intervals in the crate where the dog goes in, settles down and doesn't scream or cry, then you can praise the dog, wait another minute or so then give a release word. I usually say lets go to my guys so they know for sure I'm talking about them, not, okay feed the dogs.... They hear the word okay etc. I have most of my dogs sleeping in their crate, it's on their choice - the doors are open or off so they can come and go as they choose, the new guys are locked in at night to keep them out of mischief.

When I give my guys their special treats they usually run to their rooms without coaching and eat the try or play with the new toys etc, the other dogs don't invade each others spaces surprisingly.

Good luck and stick to your schedule, that will help the dog learn it easier, even kennel the dog for an hour or so o. Your days off, to get him used to the routine so he will know your not always gone when he is in his room.

Source(s): Dog owner

No dog should be kept in its crate for more than a few hours at first. If your pet whines and sees this as a punishment, it defeats the purpose of the training. I suggest that you find some literature on crate training, and find a motivating treat to work with, such as teenie Greenies. Why did you get a puppy (and not a grown dog) if you do not have time during the day to train it? Puppies require constant attention, like babies, and the problems that are not being solved at this stage will continue throughout the dog's life unless remediated quickly. Enroll yourself in a puppy kindergarten class with doggy and learn methods that you are unfamiliar with regarding training... it will be good for the both of you. ^_^

Crate you just need to leave her in there. Even while your home just put her in and do not take her out unless she stops whining. For poppy just lots of praises, scolding, take her out lots so she doesnt get the opportunity to pee in the house.