What is a SSD for?

I was thinking about getting a SSD drive , but I'm unsure if it would be helpful. Can I start my programs from my normal hardrive while using SSD as a bottup, and maybe stick a game or two into the SSD to make the game much faster?

• Dan
    Favorite Answer

SSD drives are faster and have no moving parts, however are more expensive for the same size as standard drives (magnetic rotating platter).

That being said,

Common SSD sizes are 128 and 256 Gigabyte. They are often used internally in ultralight laptops or as a boot drive in a high performance system due to their faster access times.

Assuming you have a computer that can hold two drives (desktop or high end laptop), you'll need to either image your existing drive and restore it on the SSD to make it the boot drive, or reload it from scratch with the OS software.

SSD drives are rather pricey for their relative size. A 120 GB runs around $80. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3W15P0/ref=as... A 250 GB will set you back around $155.

Good Luck.

They're faster than mechanical hard drives so your OS and select programs can load into memory (RAM) faster. With an SSD your PC can start faster and games can load maps a bit quicker.

SSD is an acronym for "Solid State Drive". It is a flash-based method of storing data on a mountable volume that doesn't use any magnets or revolving platter to store data. But stores data by means of semiconductor chips ( similar to SD Cards)

An SSD is much faster than a regular hard drive. For the operating system this is a big improvement, especially boot times. On my Windows 8.1 machine, the system boots in around 10 seconds. Ideal though, you need an OS that knows about SSDs, so Windows 7 or 8.

For games, the improvements will depend on the game. If there's a lot of loading screens (for example, I've got Skyrim on an SSD) then the times are reduced. But for games that load as you're playing, it probably won't make much difference.

SSD is an acronym for a: Social Security Device.

You use an SSD drive to protect your assets from your relatives, coworkers, organizations that are after your finances.