Mr. V asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 6 years ago

I have 100% white hair - Is it possible to dye my hair to look salt & pepper?

I am 51 and have had white hair from early 20's.

Favorite Answer

I have 25% platinum, (maybe more not less), 25% blue-black (a lot less now), 25% dark brown, 25% light brown evenly, but where I used to part my hair to the sides, where I use a barrette on the back, now showed more of the platinum highlights when I do a French Braid, but under neath mostly dark.

I started when I was 28. I'm 61, but both of my parents have salt & pepper before they died in their 90's - 100's,. except mom's mother was 100% platinum when I was 13 - the last time I saw her!

DYK: there are 15 shades of colors for blond hair? Red has about 5-7 shades of colors in them. But people don't know that, because they're always covering their hair with hair dyes.

Google: Grey hair could be a sign of good health

Dated: 2012-07-22

Google: Gray Hair - stress, kids, job not to blame. SFGate. Dec. 4, 2012.

http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/Gray-hair-str...

Google Emmylou Harris. She's over 60, and she started when she was younger.

I do not recommend using DARK DYES. Permanent black hair dye is linked to causing leukemia and lymphomas.

Playing with chemicals is not like playing with clothes, or doing a manicure, there are penalties for playing chemicals in the lab. Even hair color experts at the salon are not rocket scientists, they do a bang up dye jobs to their clients or their own hair.

Chemicals can enter the body through the skin.

> > > Hair dye chemicals linked to cancer

London, Feb 20, 2013 I've been saying that since 2009.

Hair dyes, which include home hair colouring kits and those used at pricey salons, are linked to deadly cancer-causing chemicals, warn scientists. In 2009 the Mail revealed that women who used hair dyes more than nine times a year had a 60% greater risk of contracting blood cancer.

A year later the European Commission banned 36 hair dyes which put long-term users at risk of bladder cancer. < < < <

Google: Teen 'feared she would die' after reaction to hair dye

The allergic reaction was caused by a well-known brand of semi-permanent hair dye Chloe used to turn her hair black for a Hallowe’en party. . . . . called for beauty bosses to ban hair dye chemical PPD (para-phenylenediamine) from the shelves. 11-04-11

The chemical is not new and is present in a number of brands of dark hair colours, acting to help adhere the dye to the hair so that it doesn't wash out. It’s made from coal tar and is used in both permanent and semi-permanent hair colours. It’s well-known to be a cause of serious allergic reactions -- including something called contact dermatitis which can lead to rashes, blisters, and open sores.

PPD is sometimes added to black henna tattoos and that using them is not safe. Allergic reactions usually begin within two to 10 days following application. One bad reaction can lead to sensitivities to other products such as hair dye, sunblock and some types of clothing dyes. Oftentimes, it's using the product a second or third time. Skin specialist Najjia Ashraf reveals that there are barely any dyes that don’t contain this toxin; even the ones who claim they don’t, are not being honest. “Big brands often escape the blame by suggesting they are ammonia-free. However, ammonia and PPD are two very different things and PPD is present in nearly every dye because it is what gives off the colour,” she explains.

• Jay

Yes. You can get lowlights to blend and make your hair look salt and peppery. Talk to a professional colourist at a reputable salon about your options.

Source(s): I&#x27;m a professional hairstylist. I do this all the time.

That would be neat, there are grey&#x2F;brownish hair dyes and just do like either a layer underneath or half of the hair with the grey brown color! :) best luck!

Source(s): Hair dyeing experience