my grandpa told me that he and his dad saw nazi u boats at capecod and they were waveing to them?

Could it be true? Iv heard they were at the ready with sarin gas but didn't do it because they didn't want to kill anymore white people

Favorite Answer

Could your grandpa have waved at U-boats? Possibly. U-boats were sinking US shipping within sight of shore for a few years into WWII. The reason why the Nazis didn't use gas warfare was because Hitler himself had such bad experiences with it during WWI, he didn't want to go there again.

You might find this book interesting reading "Operation Drumbeat: Germany's U-Boat Attacks Along the American Coast in World War II" by Gannon, Michael

• Bob P

In 1954, U-505 was towed from Bermuda to it's new home in Chicago. Passing Cape Cod would have been along the way. The Coast Guard tow job would have made the operation visible to as many shorebirds as possible. U-505 remains on display at the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago.

U-505 was captured off the coast of Africa in 1944, along with the ship's crew & more importantly - it's 2 Enigma Machines & 900 pounds of code books that allowed the US to break the German coded messages.

Grandpa may have waved at a German U Boat, but the personnel on board were American

They were up and down the East Coast. There used to be towers on the shore where people watched for them. I know of towers in Block Island, Rhode Island and Cape May, New Jersey. Hitler did not use gas.

The nazis never used sarin gas in war, or even considered using it in America. If they had ever done this it would have been in Britain.

There were uboats off of cape cod, however I severely doubt your grandpa saw them and waved at them, as they would have been busy trying to report such sightings to the navy. I think your grandpa is either lying, mis-remembers something, or is senile.

• Mrsjvb

at least one Uboat was off the Coast.. manned by US Naval Personnel, including my grandfather.

The U505 was captured and used as a Morale booster and war prize to sell war bonds during WW2. My grandfather spent several months sailing her up and down the east Coast before she was eventually shipped off to Chicago to be interred at the Navy Pier and turned into a Museum.

shortly after he died 2 years ago we found the notebook that he had used. it was a diagram of the instrument panels with the English translation of the German next to the drawings