Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

can you please help with this writing in passive voice?

this is my paragraph, can you locate where there is passive voice and help me change it to active voice, please.

Video games have a long history; the first was made by William Higginbotham in 1959! Even though Higginbotham made the first video game, called tennis for two, the creator of video games is Ralph H. Bear. Higginbotham’s real purpose for tennis for two was for a nuclear race, as stated by the article “The first video game?” but the directions reminded him of a tennis game. After tennis for two, video games like pong, Pac-man, Mario, and others came about. Since then video games have improved a lot, in quality, story, and achievements. Video games are entertaining, but they are also used for more beneficial things like, teaching children math, reading, and science skills, and development. They also have flight simulators for people in flight school or astronauts, and also they have military training games, for combat and skill.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Don't worry about passive voice. You only have one use of passive, and it's fine as is. Worry more about capitalization and punctuation. Those are weak.

Video games have a long history; the first was made [PASSIVE] by William Higginbotham in 1959! Even though Higginbotham made the first video game, called [T]ennis for [T]wo, the creator of video games is Ralph H. Bear. Higginbotham’s real purpose for [T]ennis for [T]wo was for a nuclear race, as stated by the article “The [F]irst [V]ideo [G]ame?” but the directions reminded him of a tennis game. After [T]ennis for [T]wo, video games like [P]ong, Pac-man, Mario, and others came about. Since then video games have improved a lot[ ] in quality, story, and achievements. Video games are entertaining, but they are also used for more beneficial things like[ ] teaching children math, reading, and science skills, and development. They also have flight simulators for people in flight school or astronauts, and also they have military training games, for combat and skill.

• 5 years ago

Active: I laid the book on the counter. Passive: The book was laid on the counter by me. Example one had "I" as the subject and is active -- a human being doing something. Example two has "the book" as the subject and makes an inanimate object the driving force in the sentence. It's unnecessarily roundabout.

• 7 years ago

very true! video games are very fun and so is math! one question, do you like math?

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

"The first WAS MADE by...." is passive.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.