28 day admission. What does it mean?

My mum had a mental brake down this morning. they don't think it is long term but they said they are admitting her for 28 days. Does this mean they are admitting her for 28 days regardless of her condition and will keep her longer if she's worse, but will still keep her for this time. E.g. If she's... show more My mum had a mental brake down this morning. they don't think it is long term but they said they are admitting her for 28 days. Does this mean they are admitting her for 28 days regardless of her condition and will keep her longer if she's worse, but will still keep her for this time. E.g. If she's better in fore example 15 days will they still keep her for the full 28?

I understand what they do and why so it doesn't bother me if they need her for the full time but I don't completely understand.