Do you think airlines should have the right to kick overweight people out of flights?

Before anything, I don't mean to offend anyone who is overweight. So if you're overweight and easily offended please don't read this.

Here's the story. My mom was talking about that actor from the blindside, Quinton Aaron who got kicked off a US airways flight.

She was saying how it was rude and disrespectful to kick out overweight people no matter what their social status is. I disagreed, I shared my opinion with her aaaand she went erm batshit.. She literally didn't want to look me in the eye for like a good 30mins.

As I typed down earlier, I don't mean to offend anyone who is overweight, in fact I used to have problems with my weight as well.

So here's my opinion. When you purchase a ticket (at least economy) doesn't most airlines ensure and guarantee your comfort in-flight? If you're sitting beside someone who is overweight, crowding up your space, and making you feel uncomfortable, dosen't the airline have the right to kick the person out OR change his/her or your seat? I mean have you ever seen the news about the guy who apparently smelled bad and had to be kicked of the aircraft? And everyone on that flight seemed to be pleased with him getting kicked out! But when an overweight person gets kicked out everyone seems to go batshit. I don't get it... Maybe it's just the way society thinks. If you're disruptive on an aircraft and get kicked out everyone is happy, if an overweight person gets kicked out an aircraft YOU'RE the bad guy..

Favorite Answer

I think it is OK. Please buy more than one seat if you're overweight!

The seats are about the same as in the 1950's. Yet 30% of the population has brown a lot. What about naturally large football or basketball players? Or a boss I had once whose shoulders were a foot wider than most? The airlines don't make any allowance if you are not perfect. I used to be a "gold" flyer on every major airline but I took my last flight 6 years ago. No more.

Answer is no they shouldn't.

When you buy 1 seat, and take up 2 like that guy, its not rude to kick them off the flight. You buy 1 seat, and get 1 seat, not 2.

OK this is a US question so maybe I am not best qualified to answer so being Scottish and not overweight, I think they should pay more per kilo per seat. I hate some fat git taking up my space as well - they should pay for two seats. Now let's just wait for my violation. but I don't mean to be mean just lose some weight.

Yes they were right, in case of an emergency, his large bulk would have hindered other peoples evacuation putting their lives at risk.

The chairs are too small for comfort in the first place... shudder