What? asked in SportsMartial Arts · 6 years ago

Why do people think that UFC fighters are skilled fighters?

Their fights are controlled by rules, time limits, weight classes, and referees. That is not suitable for actual self defense in the street. A Navy SEAL or an Army Ranger is probably 10x more skilled in hand to hand combat than those meatheads. There are videos on Youtube of Urijah Faber, Gabriel Gonzaga, Marcus Davis, Rashad Evans, Forrest Griffin, and other UFC fighters going to a USMC base. They got owned in many different training fields, even the hand to hand combat. I'd much rather learn how to fight from a marine than a UFC fighter. I also think that a marine can beat up a UFC fighter in a scrap.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Best Answer

"Their fights are controlled by rules, time limits, weight classes, and referees"

This is the stupidest argument in the world. How does a time limit affect how you punch? How does the presence of a referee affect your skill in tossing someone on their head? Yes, there are weight classes in the ring, but at the gym, you train with EVERYONE. Here's welterweight (170lbs limit) Georges St-Pierre training with Light Heavyweight (205lbs limit) Rashad Evans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64el7rj8naY

Youtube thumbnail

"A Navy SEAL or an Army Ranger is probably 10x more skilled in hand to hand combat than those meatheads."

Son, I'm ex-Navy and have trained at more than a few schools that have produced MMA fighters. Your average SpecOps guy is nowhere NEAR as skilled in hand to hand as a pro MMA fighter. SpecOps have specific, gun/demolition/parachuting/land navigation based missions. A fighter in the UFC has often been training in martial arts since childhood, and spends more time training for a fight than most people do at a part-time job. SpecOps guys don't get that sort of time to train hand-to-hand.

And incidentally, some of those "meatheads" have college degrees, like Kenny Florian (Communications from Boston College, Big East Academic All Star), Takeya Mizugaki (Master's in Electrical Engineering), Shane Carwin (TWO Bachelor's degrees- Environmental Technology and Mechanical Engineering), Jeff Monson (Master's in Psychology), Brian Stann (Annapolis graduate- oh yeah, he IS a Marine!), Rich Franklin (Master's in Education), Terry Martin (working on a Doctorate program), Daniel Cormier (OSU grad) and more.

Maybe you should educate yourself before making incorrect statements.

"There are videos on Youtube of Urijah Faber, Gabriel Gonzaga, Marcus Davis, Rashad Evans, Forrest Griffin, and other UFC fighters going to a USMC base. They got owned in many different training fields, even the hand to hand combat."

No they don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyllQuQuHZE

Youtube thumbnail

They get double-teamed while required to use mock-up weapons. That doesn't mean the Marines that beat them were more skilled. That means they were outnumbered and using unfamiliar weaponry. Weaponry you might or might not have in your environment during a real attack.

Here's Carlos Condit owning troops, one after the other, in hand-to-hand combat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myxhzSqbvxA

Youtube thumbnail

Here are some Marines training with mid-lower-tier MMA fighters. Why? To improve their skills. Because MMA fighters do it better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N0ukvoxPS4

Youtube thumbnail

And here's a Marine getting choked out by a smaller, weaker opponent... because she's (yes, SHE) is more skilled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSKd_e4ExQ8

Youtube thumbnail

"I'd much rather learn how to fight from a marine than a UFC fighter."

The Marines I've trained with would disagree with you.

"I also think that a marine can beat up a UFC fighter in a scrap"

Refer to my last video.

Also, Brian Stann, who was not only a graduate of the US Naval Academy, but also a combat veteran, trains, well, like a UFC fighter (because until his retirement, he was one). The training he brought with him from the USMC was sub-par. Same thing with Army Ranger Tim Kennedy. He got out of the Army and started training at real MMA gyms in order to compete against the fighters he was facing, because his Modern Army Combatives program didn't provide him with the tools to do so.

Once again, just taking a little time to do research would save you from a world of embarrassment.

• 6 years ago

There are, and have been marines, navy seals etc in MMA and the UFC. Nothing against them but how many can you name?

Probably only 1, so if they were better fighters they would be known right? So what if there are rules, rules automatically reduce a person skill level? In marine or navy seal training you are allowed to kill or permanently injure the guys you train with? No you are not. You don't think that a UFC guy, if allowed, could permanently injure or kill the other guy in the ring if they were allowed to and had the lack of soul to do so? It is annoying how people on here put down MMA because it's not real. As if they are training for real with all out fighting 3 nights a week, killing, maiming and paralyzing the guys they train with. You are never ever in danger of not walking out of you training with much more than a bruise or bloody nose (boo boo). I guarantee nobody on this forum trains more realistically and physically than pro MMA fighters.

• 6 years ago

Your argument is so weird and out of the blue.

" A Navy SEAL or an Army Ranger is probably 10x more skilled in hand to hand combat than those meatheads"

UFC fighters spend nearly 95% of their time FIGHTING! I can guarantee you that seals do not spend as much time fighting as UFC fighters. Plus you call Georges St.Pierre a meathead? what about johnny Hendricks? These guys study the techniques of mma down to its most minute details.

In the end a UFC fighter would crush a navy seal inside the cage, but than again on a battlefield with guns in hand a seal or ranger would crush an MMA fighter no problem.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Um because it takes skill to get in the UFC? I think you meant "Why do people think UFC fighters the MOST skilled fighters?" Because they're not. But it's not like you can throw some street fighter in there with all the regulations and **** and called him a skilled fighter. Like I said, it takes skill to be in the UFC

Another thing, look at your comparisons; trained killers vs. competitive fighters. And look at the people you named and the ones who are currently at top. You'll see the difference.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

Well you think wrong. A marine, ranger or whatever gets only the most basic of hand to hand training. I mean why should he waste time training for something he won't need? If the man can shoot you why should he fight you? They need to train tactics, equipment training, rifle, pistol and so on. A marines primary weapon is his rifle, then his gun, then knife and finally his fists. He will use all of those before he turns to hand to hand combat. You will get better hand to hand training at the local MMA gym.

• 6 years ago

Yeah, you go step in the ring with one of those meatheads and then say how unskilled they are. I'm a Marine and I can tell you that MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program) is almost useless. Besides you can't be taught to fight. You can be taught the fundamentals, but learning to actually fight is on you.

• Sherry
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

its just like a job its great 2 get sum1 fresh who doesnt have past experience so that its easy 4 u 2 learn wat they want u 2 learn.where most trainers hate working with a guy with alot of experience because when u learn sumthing 1 way its hard 4 u 2 learn it different than u already know it.and if u have the drive thats a big thing ik lots of mma fighters that r content with staying ammy and stuff which gives them little motivation 2 wanna get better

• 6 years ago

I am pretty sure they might maybe be like that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.