Why not make cars run off both electric and gas energy?

I was literally on E today and had no money, so I decided I'd try to see how far I'd get. I made it home, which was about 30 miles away. Awesome right?

But I was just curious: Why isn't it possible for people to make a vehicle that runs on gas and once the gas is out it switches over to electric operated. Not saying a lot, just a little extra something that'll allow you to keep going when you're out of gas.

That way, when you're out of money and gas, you just have to pull over and recharge every once in a while until you get to your destination.

• Them
    Favorite Answer

It's called a "hybrid" - and they've been experimenting with them for a long time - for the past 50 years anyway. Generally the engine runs on gasoline - which turns a generator to make electricity. When the batteries run low then the engine starts. They have them for sale right now.

OK I'll do it, but that's the only wish you get. ~(POOF) ~

You may now go out and pick one up at any dealership you like.

Source(s): Scarecrow the Car Fairy

If Anyone is looking to buy and hybrid Car then Visit us at http://www.electriccar2buy.co.uk

• Jake

The Plug-In hybrid is the sort of vehicle you describe, the battery power can just be an after thought, though some hybrids effectively allow a smaller gas engine to be used by adding in electric power in combination to the engine power when bursts of energy are needed.

There is some mathematical formula taking in to consideration the average drive per charge allowing plugin in hybrid makers to claim 100+ effective mpg from the line power electricity supplemented car.