I want to move out of the country how should I do it?

I live in the U.S. and I'm fairly tired of living here and need a change of scenery, my first thought is the UK but I'd actually like to live and work in their for a while and I'm not sure how to go about that, any help would be nice thanks!

5 Answers

  • John
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

    Simply take your Masters degree or PhD plus your CV which includes your managerial work experience in a high demand tech field and obtain a verified job contract of greater than one year vetted by the appropiate union and submit for posible work visa to the country of proposed residence before entering Europe. Otherwise you will not be having a change of scenery. Good luck!

  • 7 years ago

    There is no particularly easy way to move from the US to a country in Europe. In my case, I moved to Italy because I was asked to by the company I worked for. If you are not European, you will have to arrange a visa in order to move there legally. European regulations require employers to advertise jobs and demonstrate that there are no viable European candidates for a job before they can offer a position to a non European. In the best of times non-Europeans have to have specialized skills, education and/or experience that cannot be easily duplicated by European job seekers. You're more likely to get a job that takes advantage of your education and skills than an entry level job; however, it's very difficult. Expecting a job when you don't already speak the local language or expecting employers to go to the time and expense to get you a work permit when that wouldn't be necessary for European candidates is unrealistic.

    Right now, the overall unemployment rate in Italy is around 12.9% and it's around 42% for young people. In the UK, the unemployment rate is 7.2% and around 20% for youth. There are countries like Spain and Greece where the situation is somewhat worse and others where the situation is better.

    My direct experience is with Italy where I lived for the past 13+ years (working for a Swedish company); other countries here in Europe will have similar rules. It's not all that different anywhere else. The site for visas in Italy is: http://www.esteri.it/visti/index_eng.asp . The site has links to the application, the additional information you need to supply in order to get the visa and where to apply. It also includes education visas which are somewhat easier to get than work visas. You can find similar information for other countries on their consulate websites.Visa information on the website of the French Consulate in New York is here: http://www.consulfrance-newyork.org/-Vis... . You can find other consulate websites with a fairly simple search. Note that you'll need to apply to the consulate that has jurisdiction over the state where you live, but you can find the necessary information on any of the consulate websites.

    A work permit is separate - you cannot apply for that yourself in many countries. The company has to apply and they have to be able to demonstrate that there is not a viable EU candidate for the job. As a result, jobs for foreigners including Canadian or US citizens are pretty much restricted to people with special education, knowledge, or experience ... and you would have to be able to speak the local language. However, the level of English is high in Scandinavia and most adults speak it very well. You would be able to manage well while learning the language. Right now, as noted above, the best bet would probably be something in the healthcare field which is a fit for you. When I moved here, it was through a transfer of the job I was already doing in the US to the Italian office. Even so, it took 8 months to put all the paperwork in place to apply for a visa. If you already have a job offer, the company will provide you the information you need for your visa application and take care of things like work permits.

    It's useful to check the expat sites for information about living and working in the places you might be interested in:




    You can find other sites by searching for "expat" and the name of your target country. These sites will tell you how to register your address, provide information about healthcare, banks, and so forth to ease you into daily life.

    You need to be aware that if you are a US expat, you would need to file tax returns in the US as well as in your host country and that can get to be expensive.

  • 7 years ago

    Decide on a destination first. Then put all of your effort into moving there. Research the visa requirements, research the immigration requirements.

    Source(s): Been there, done that. My money and I left America over 20 years ago.
  • Orla C
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

    You cannot just up and move to any other country simply because you want a change of scene. Isn't the US big enough for you?

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

    for that you may need relatives

    /or you might need to show that a specific amount of money that they require.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.