Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 6 years ago

Filing a VFR altitude?

So you file a flight plan in Seattle during MVFR conditions and the ceiling is 3000 feet, so you file 2500 to remain in VMC. But in Seattle, there are mountains that you will not clear at 2500. So how do you correctly fly VFR in these conditions without going into clouds? This was a scenario in X-plane on the Vatsim Network I encountered.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

When flying VFR you do not have to file a flight plan nor do you have to stick to a particular altitude except as assigned by ATC while in class B airspace. When flying below 3,000 feet AGL you do not have to fly cardinal altitudes + 500 feet either (i.e. 3,500, 4,500, 5,500, etc. ). In the scenario given, unless the ceiling rises with the terrain, you can't fly the route unless you (a) can follow valleys between the mountains while remaining VFR, or (b) file IFR.. The problem with you flight simmers is many, if not most of you don't really know anything about real flying, even enough to understand this simple situation.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

Of course under 3000 agl there isn't a VFR altitude! See 91.159 for this ""each person operating an aircraft under VFR in level cruising flight more than 3,000 feet above the surface shall maintain the appropriate altitude or flight level prescribed below, unless otherwise authorized by ATC:" so 2500 doesn't work! It does but so does any altitude under 3000 agl! At any rate you have to keep eyes open and in visual conditions and clear of hard stuff!

But, if you can't clear obstacles you don't fly VFR! One good reason for an IFR rating!

Read this

http://flighttraining.aopa.org/magazine/2005/July/...

Source(s): 91.159 -TL
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

where are you going? what type of plane you flying? is it a overcast or broken ceiling?, What is the Vis? if you do not have an overcast situation you might could fly through the gaps in the clouds and fly "VFR over the top" if the tops are not too high for your plane to climb over. when you are flying out of SEA while you are in the class B airspace you only have to be clear of clouds not 500 feet below them. if you want to go in a Northerly or Southerly direction you could fly Victor Airway 27 at 2000 msl to the HQM VORTAC, with- out having to worry about terrian then turn and follow the shore line at what ever altitude you want below 3000 msl that keeps 500' below and 1000' horizontale from the clouds

• Erik T
    Lv 5
    6 years ago

Your final statement explains everything: "This was a scenario in X-plane on the Vatsim Network I encountered."

This forum is about real pilots flying real airplanes in the real world. Push back from the computer screen, go outside and get some sunshine.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

cruising altitude is not part of a vfr flight plan. altitude is at your discretion, subject to cruising altitude regulations.

in your situation i would land, get a weather update, then wait it out or turn back.

i did exactly this last year when i landed at bellingham washington, found the conditions further south were mvfr and ifr and unlikely to improve soon, decided to call it a day, and went home.

• ?
    Lv 6
    6 years ago

You pick a route around obstacles which allows you to remain within the VFR minima for that particular airspace, if no such route exists, you don't go!

• 6 years ago

You don't go or find a pass to fly through.

• 6 years ago

I think you should put a cheeseburger in it from your local Wendy's

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.