I realize this was asked about two months ago but since it's still open for answers I figured I should answer this. I had the same problem and came across this thread, was trying to upgrade drivers on my mother's laptop, I tried uninstalling it which ran successfully until it tried to uninstall the Catalyst Install Manager. It gave the error you mentioned above. I tried using the official AMD driver cleanup software which managed to uninstall and clear Catalyst Control Center and any of the other software associated with AMD except for the Install Manager.
Spent about a half hour Googling on the problem and nobody seemed to have a solution that worked (or at least worked for everyone), decided to look up on Microsoft's site to see if they had any solution since it's a Windows installer error (meaning it's not an issue specific to AMD Install Manager). Luckily I was able to find this article: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall
It provides the Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter which is the successor to another Microsoft utility called Windows Installer Cleanup Utility (MSICUU2.exe), which was apparently very well known and used by a lot of people.
I clicked "Run now," downloaded the .exe, and ran it. Went through, checked that I was having a problem uninstalling software, selected AMD Install Manager from the list, and it was able to go through and uninstall it for me. (It either reverse-engineered what the installer was scripted to do and did that directly or it responded appropriately to whatever error code it received while it was uninstalling)
I rebooted, downloaded the latest driver for my mom's APU (A6 series), and installed with no issue at all.
1. Go here: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall
2. Click "Run now."
3. Download the .exe
4. Run the .exe
5. Tell it you're having a problem uninstalling a program.
6. Select AMD Install Manager from the menu.
7. Hit "Next" until it finishes.
8. Reboot your computer.
9. Go here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows%207%20-%2064#amd-catalyst-packages (These should be the latest drivers currently available for your computer, just looking at the laptop specs you provided)
10. Click "Download"
11. Run that .exe
12. Install your new drivers like you normally would.
If the Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter is unable to remove the AMD Install Manager, then I *think* that the "Display Driver Uninstall" utility will work: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/
I haven't tested it with issues regarding Catalyst or the Install Manager but I used it a few days ago on my desktop to remove my old display driver that wasn't removed completely by Catalyst (not sure why), so when I tried to install my newer drivers it would BSoD at "detecting graphics hardware." Used that utility in safe mode and that did the trick, so give that a shot if the program I linked doesn't do it for you like it did for me.
1. Go here: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/
2. Click "Download"
3. Save the .exe
5. When your PC starts up spam F8 until you see the option to boot into safe mode.
6. Select "Safe Mode" with your arrow keys and hit "Enter"
7. Go to where you saved the .exe and run it.
8. Run a cleanup.
9. Reboot and download+install the drivers I linked above.
Hope this helps!!
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 and personal experience.
· 5 years ago