Is it ok to buy used baby bottles from a kid's consignment sale?

My mother-in-law bought some to use when she babysits; I wouldn't have bought them and I don't want her to use them because I have no idea where they came from and they are kind of yellowed (suppose to be clear), but I know if I tell her this she will think I'm snobbish. Are they really ok to use if she gets new nipples, or am I right in not wanting her to use them?

• Pippin
    Favorite Answer

Unless the bottles have chips and cracks in them, they should be fine to use.

But if you are worried, you can tell grandma that you'd prefer bottles without BPA and buy some new ones.

(The bottles will be used for pumped breastmilk, yes?)

• Tania

If they are sterilized properly, you should have nothing to worry about. Boil them in salt water for a few minutes and not a single germ or bug will survive to harm your child.

I would buy new teats, just because the holes tend to get bigger with age and can leak too much. But even the teats should be perfectly safe to use after a good clean.

There really is no need to worry.

• Bobbi

Sterilized - they are OK. You eat off used plates and silverware when you go out to eat and your fine! Just get new nipples.

Better - breast feed . It's free and no worries about costly formula.

• MizzB

As long as they are sterilised they are fine. Don't worry about it.

Breast feed your baby and you won't have to worry about this. Besides, no one else should be baby sitting your baby until the baby is weaned anyway.